Need some new versatile Home 'Studio' cans with a bit more precision
Apr 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

phosfiend

100+ Head-Fier
So, my trusty Beyer DT250-80's that I've used for years are finally starting to go :frowning2: and I'm looking for replacements to use in my very non-pro home studio.

I do sound design for videogames & when I have time, make IDMish music. I do my critical work on monitors, but being a home studio, lots still happens in my cans. I really liked the Beyers, but after a few years with them, I would say they're a bit shy at the high end, with a slightly more laid back sound than I would like if I could start over (which I'm now forced too).

Cans I'm considering, concerns in brackets:

• AKG K550 (non detachable cable)
  • Shure SRH840
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50X (worried about my huge head)
  • Fostex T50-RP (not quite closed though)

Things I need to consider:

• Comfort - both for long sessions and...
  • I have a huge head
  • Good, fairly balanced, studio appropriate sound
  • I'd be driving them from external (and decent) soundcard(s). Which have very decent output levels, but not interested in getting an amp ATM.
  • Under 300$ - the cheaper the better
  • Closed or at least semi-closed! That's just how I roll :)
  • Long term durability

Thanks everyone! If you have any suggestions that aren't too boutique (I'm going to try to try these before I buy these) let me know!

It's a testament to the Beyers that I haven't posted here in years!

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 27
Sounds like you'd like a different Beyer. Perhaps the DT770 Pro 80 would suit you well.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 27
If neutrality is your focus, then yeah, go for the Shures. I didn't think the DT770s were terribly bassy, just warm, but if you aren't aiming for that I 'd say you'll do fine with the 840's.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 27
I like the Shures for listening, but it's a V-shape. For monitoring, I recommend KNS8400, which is more neutral (actually somewhat mid-centric). It's also much more comfortable.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 27
You are totally spot on the DT770s. I didn't find them exceedingly bassy but the mids were terribly recessed (huge notch at 3-4 kHz).
M50x is totally out. The bass is off the charts and songs sound completely imbalanced IMO.

I owned the Shure 840s and 940s. I have a huge head as well and had both ends of the bands on size '10'. Sound wise, the Shures are the most neutral sounding headphones. Especially the 940s, though the high frequencies got a bit sharp for me (case in point, steely dan's Gaucho opening). They may work well for you as you think 880s are a bit laid back on the treble (which I agree). The 940s have great sound but were too clampy for me in the end. I am actually going to list them for sale soon in the trade forum (once I've hit my 15 post minimum) so feel free to check them out if you are interested.

K550s are also a decent choice, if you don't wear glasses. They need a good seal to sound right.

Now I am using Mr Speakers Mad Dogs (modded T50RP). These are comfortable for two reasons: The metal headband can be adjusted for large heads and the lambskin pads are amazingly soft. Treble is a bit laidback so YMMV. You can consider ZMF modded T50RP though, I have heard some good things. The only issue is, without an amp these orthos may be a bit hard to drive.

If you are purely doing mixing and not listening for pleasure, why not consider MDR-7506. I think those are extremely neutral sounding. Sure there isn't great bass depth extension, airiniess in the treble or good soundstage, but they are great for $80.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 27
  You are totally spot on the DT770s. I didn't find them exceedingly bassy but the mids were terribly recessed (huge notch at 3-4 kHz).
M50x is totally out. The bass is off the charts and songs sound completely imbalanced IMO.

I owned the Shure 840s and 940s. I have a huge head as well and had both ends of the bands on size '10'. Sound wise, the Shures are the most neutral sounding headphones. Especially the 940s, though the high frequencies got a bit sharp for me (case in point, steely dan's Gaucho opening). They may work well for you as you think 880s are a bit laid back on the treble (which I agree). The 940s have great sound but were too clampy for me in the end. I am actually going to list them for sale soon in the trade forum (once I've hit my 15 post minimum) so feel free to check them out if you are interested.

K550s are also a decent choice, if you don't wear glasses. They need a good seal to sound right.

Now I am using Mr Speakers Mad Dogs (modded T50RP). These are comfortable for two reasons: The metal headband can be adjusted for large heads and the lambskin pads are amazingly soft. Treble is a bit laidback so YMMV. You can consider ZMF modded T50RP though, I have heard some good things. The only issue is, without an amp these orthos may be a bit hard to drive.

If you are purely doing mixing and not listening for pleasure, why not consider MDR-7506. I think those are extremely neutral sounding. Sure there isn't great bass depth extension, airiniess in the treble or good soundstage, but they are great for $80.

Thanks!

Lots of good notes here re:glasses, and driving the T50RP. Also, I was concerned about the m50x size - I've owned some ATs in the past, but my huge head is at the max. I'm going go to try some of these on!

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 27
I think you should act on your original "leanings" and go with the Shure 840's.

They're reasonably 'neutral' - though I always use that term advisedly,
and they sound good to a broad range of people.
They'll fit just about any size head.
They're well priced and offer good value.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 27
One thing you need to know about the Shures is that the headband is heavy and less padded than it looks; you might have to mod it with foam.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 27
If u like the DT250(my first can :p) ....then check out the DT150 :p

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-150-250-GREY-Monitoring-Headphone-Environments/dp/B000LDPP1K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=013F0AXCMZ4GXHJN9VX9

======================

then check this out..

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HPH-MT220-monitor-over-ear-headphones/dp/B00B44N0DA/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_dnr_13

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 27
  If u like the DT250(my first can :p) ....then check out the DT150 :p

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-150-250-GREY-Monitoring-Headphone-Environments/dp/B000LDPP1K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=013F0AXCMZ4GXHJN9VX9

======================

then check this out..

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HPH-MT220-monitor-over-ear-headphones/dp/B00B44N0DA/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_dnr_13

I hated DT250-80. I didn't even bother trying to figure out why, except that it sounded canned and dark. Is the Yamaha fully closed?

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 27
Be aware that the DT250 are more neutral than ANY other can mentioned in this thread.
If you use them professionally instead of recreationally, I'd just buy another DT250 (or get end-game studio headphones like HD800 or ER4S).

DT770 are only neutral to people who lost their high frequency hearing, just like with Ultrasones.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 27
I knew nothing about headphones then when this guy sold the dt250 to me for 100bucks,
N it stayed with me innocently for almost a decade.

Yay, dt770 n pro900 are neutral, n my favourites...busted ears ...lol
Or blame it on tubes:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back