Need Some Homework Albums
Sep 7, 2011 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

grimzz R

New Head-Fier
Looking for Albums to listen-to while studying.

I'm basically looking for music that is not very focused on the lyrics so it does not distract me from my work.

I would prefer them to have a bit of a "Fun" taste in order to ease stress, but I would except "Relaxing" music as well.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 9
You are doing no favor to your studying or the music by trying to do both at the same time.

If you absolutely must have music on while reading, try listening to music with a fast surface (to stimulate the brain) and reasonably stable volumes/textures (to avoid the music breaking in on your concentration). I recommend either jazz (Keith Jarrett piano concerts are perfect) or some High Minimalism (such as Reich's Music for 18 Musicians). If you prefer popular music, try Jean Michel Jarre or (God help you!) some techno. But just don't do it.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 9
I use instrumental or acoustics

Look up:
Toe - band. Japanese instrumental.
Crow'sclaw - one of my thinking band. If I need to think, put on Ketsubetsu and sit
Diana Krall - Live in Paris. Always liked it for some reason.
Incubus
Jackson Browne - skip his new stuff, sucks
Jimi Hendrix - Kinda hard, best if put through MONO
Classical, tends to you. I like Beethoven with isolating headphones.

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm not sure I'd call these 'fun' albums, but definitely relaxing. No words (except some fragments on the gy!be album). I just graduated; these were the top albums I listened to (I think).

boards of canada - music has the right to children

emancipator - safe in the steep cliffs

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# infinity

helios - eingya

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Classical Trancelations by Lowland have been with me for a few semesters when the library on campus gets too noisy. No lyrics to distract you and very relaxing classical versions of trance songs.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Try some Arvo Pärt. Relaxing, subdued, but also profound if you listen seriously. You can leave him in the background, but you'll also love him for serious listening.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Looking for Albums to listen-to while studying.

I'm basically looking for music that is not very focused on the lyrics so it does not distract me from my work.

I would prefer them to have a bit of a "Fun" taste in order to ease stress, but I would except "Relaxing" music as well.

Can't believe no one else asked this, but what general genre are you looking for?  I can think of music that would fulfill the criteria in almost every major genre.  

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Now don't laugh but try the old live albums from The Allman Brothers Band-"Live at the Fillmore" or "Eat a Peach"...... Now, only with the Volume just loud enough to hear it, not to start jamin' with it... Also Little Feat--- "Waiting For Columbus".........just try one of them.... They got me through school, barely!.... 37 yrs. ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back