Need Some Help
May 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Erwan

Head-Fier
Hello guys, sorry for bothering you again, but this is a site for headphones. For this third thread I will restart from the beginning so everyone know what I am looking for.
I am currently in High School (15) and I m looking for new headphones. The ones I am using now are the Sony MDR-ZX600. I've had these for I think 6 months now (since October 30th). I know they're not the best but  loved the clarity of these headphones. The reason I want to change them is because the bass is not punchy enough for me, it's there but just not enough.
Now for the new headphones ( on/over-ear or IEMs, preferably on/over-ear), here are what you might need to know. I mostly listen to rap/hip hop and r&b, and from time to time listen to Jazz. S yes I like bass heavy headphones but I do not want to sacrifice sound quality for bass. I do not listen to rock. My budget for these headphones is $100 maximum, and I can maybe go up to $130. I would like for the headphones to be:
-Comfortable
-Decent in looks

-Decent in build quality (I will be bringing them to school everyday)
-Not to bad for sports, as I like to listen to music when I go out for a run.
-Portable
-Closed Back
- My mom hates big headphones so please try to avoid huge headphones

-I will be using them on an Ipod Nano and a Samsung Galaxy s3
So far I've had my eyes on these headphones:
-The CAL!
-JVC HA-S400 or S500
-Audio Technica ATH-WS55/WS55x
Do not base your opinions only on these three headphones because any other suggestion is supported and recommended for this thread.
Have a nice day guys.

GUYS MAJOR UPDATE, yet again
I have received a total of $150 on Sunday due to my Confirmation, so now I have a total of $310. However, I wish to not spend all of the money, so the minimum budget is $200, lower would still be good. If needed, I will go up to $300 for new headphones because my MDR-ZX600s broke (one earcup broke off the headband).

May 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 34
Still nothing? Well I have an update that may help haha
I just received $80, so my budget is going to maximum $200, and can be flexed until $250,
Hope this helps for some ideas!
By the way I might get the Audio Technica Ath-M50's with this updates but I am still willing to have new suggestions :D

May 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 34
The M50s are a little bit towards being bass-heavier but not pounding. I'm more of a fan of neutral sounding headphones, but the M50s are always a great starting point for a pair of studio cans that aren't too clinical.

May 9, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 34
  The M50s are a little bit towards being bass-heavier but not pounding. I'm more of a fan of neutral sounding headphones, but the M50s are always a great starting point for a pair of studio cans that aren't too clinical.

And what about the Logitech UE6000? A lot of people recommend these for cans under $200. Plus they have a neutral, warm sound with nice bass.

May 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 34
I have a last verdict for anyone who can help :)
I am stuck between getting:
-the Logitech UE 6000s
-the Onkyo ES-FC300s
-the Sennheiser Amperior
-the Sennheiser Momentum On-ear
-THe vmoda's crossfade lp, lp2, or m80
Anyone who has listened to both can give me suggestions between the two?
Now I'm not an audiophile, but I tried the Bowers&Wilkins P7s in an apple store the other day and absolutly fell in love with them. Which one of these headphones are closest to the B&Ws? I know InnerFidelity said the Onkyo's sound almost identical to the Sony MDR-1rs.

May 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 34
I'd answer if I had the perfect suggestion in my head, sorry. 
frown.gif

May 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 34
The amperior is supposed to have good clamping force so it will be good for running.

Thank you :)
In the end, since I mostly listen to hip hop and r&b (but also jazz and swing), I have decided to get either the Marshall Monitors ($200) or the Sennheiser Amperiors ($179, who beat the m80s, lp2s, momentum on ear and ue600s). I like the Monitors' sound, tried them at best buy and loved them, plus they're over-ear. The bass is also quite good. I am not sure, but I think I prefer v-shaped sound signatures. I would wish the sound stage would be wide. I will be getting these headphones at best buy. The only other problem is, no one has really said anything about the Onkyos :3.

May 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 34
The V-Moda XS has gotten a lot of good reviews. It seems to be a lot more comfortable than the M80 and M100.

checkout Tyll's review
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/practically-perfect-every-way-v-moda-xs

May 22, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 34
Thank you :)

In the end, since I mostly listen to hip hop and r&b (but also jazz and swing), I have decided to get either the Marshall Monitors ($200) or the Sennheiser Amperiors ($179, who beat the m80s, lp2s, momentum on ear and ue600s). I like the Monitors' sound, tried them at best buy and loved them, plus they're over-ear. The bass is also quite good. I am not sure, but I think I prefer v-shaped sound signatures. I would wish the sound stage would be wide. I will be getting these headphones at best buy. The only other problem is, no one has really said anything about the Onkyos :3.

No worries

May 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 34
The V-Moda XS has gotten a lot of good reviews. It seems to be a lot more comfortable than the M80 and M100.

checkout Tyll's review
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/practically-perfect-every-way-v-moda-xs

Tyll really likes them and they seem like a winner, thank you. :)
hmmm so now between the V-moda Xs' and the Marshall Monitors :/.
The reason I haven'tjumped onto the XS is because the Monitors have this F.T.F system where there are filters that cover the drivers, giving you more bass and recessed mids and highs, but you also have the choice to remove the filters for the mids and highs to come back up and shine :).

May 24, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 34
  Hello guys, sorry for bothering you again, but this is a site for headphones. For this third thread I will restart from the beginning so everyone know what I am looking for.
I am currently in High School (15) and I m looking for new headphones. The ones I am using now are the Sony MDR-ZX600. I've had these for I think 6 months now (since October 30th). I know they're not the best but  loved the clarity of these headphones. The reason I want to change them is because the bass is not punchy enough for me, it's there but just not enough.
Now for the new headphones ( on/over-ear or IEMs, preferably on/over-ear), here are what you might need to know. I mostly listen to rap/hip hop and r&b, and from time to time listen to Jazz. S yes I like bass heavy headphones but I do not want to sacrifice sound quality for bass. I do not listen to rock. My budget for these headphones is $100 maximum, and I can maybe go up to $130. I would like for the headphones to be:
-Comfortable
-Decent in looks

-Decent in build quality (I will be bringing them to school everyday)
-Not to bad for sports, as I like to listen to music when I go out for a run.
-Portable
-Closed Back
- My mom hates big headphones so please try to avoid huge headphones

-I will be using them on an Ipod Nano and a Samsung Galaxy s3
So far I've had my eyes on these headphones:
-The CAL!
-JVC HA-S400 or S500
-Audio Technica ATH-WS55/WS55x
Do not base your opinions only on these three headphones because any other suggestion is supported and recommended for this thread.
Have a nice day guys.

GUYS MAJOR UPDATE, yet again
I have received a total of $150 on Sunday due to my Confirmation, so now I have a total of $310. However, I wish to not spend all of the money, so the minimum budget is $200, lower would still be good. If needed, I will go up to $300 for new headphones because my MDR-ZX600s broke (one earcup broke off the headband).

You can save some major coin by at least checking these out.  Don Scorpio Dolphins
Ebay $105 delivered by 'Bigbarginonline'
They have a detachable cable which is nice.  Check out the reviews.           Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back