Need some help with AKG K140, K140s and their variants
Jun 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elemoor

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I recently got a vintage AKG K140, but I don't know how to determine which version it is. I found out that there are different types of K140, for example open-back and closed-back ones, the one with a Sextett driver, 'normal' K140 headphones, K140s headphones and even something like 'cardan'.

Could you please help me differentiate between the various types? How can I determine which version of K140 I have? Mine has got the headband with circle-shaped holes, it is open-back and has the usual AKG markings for recommended output impedance (4-600 Ohms), type (K140), and place of fabrication (Austria). It is absolutely in mint condition, even the foam is perfect.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Regards,
Elemoor

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 4
I personally only know of two versions, if yours has the vents on the metal cups then it should be the second version that was released (the earlier pairs do not have these vents, but are still classified as open headphones). I cannot recall any discussion about variances in the drivers used with different pairs of K140s, and I've only heard of the Sextett drivers being used in some pairs of K141s, not the K140. Still, knowing AKG it would not surprise me if not all K140s use the same drivers. To the best of my knowledge all of the K140s as well as the early K141s and K240s have the "Cardan" designation as part of their branding, so this is nothing unusual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back