Need some help(tube vs solid)
Jan 15, 2002 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Ok guys. I need some help. Could you guys give me some disadvantages and adv of tube amps and solid state amps? I mean, is one better than the other? DON'T FLAME!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 47
Tube amp sounds more natural (warmer) and broader soundstage, solid state gives better resolution (detail) and bass extention. That's pretty much all there is to it for me anyway (I haven't tried any of the really expensive ones). Go to your local hi-fi store, and ask them to setup a side by side comparison of a tube amp and solid state amp of your choice (that they have availible).

Jan 15, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 47
I second Audio&Me's comments. Also, tubes tend to have a great midrange and are magic with vocals; however, they also tend to have mildly less crisp bass than solid state, so you may find solid state to be better for rock and electronica (I do, anyway).

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 47
Tubes are awesome. I am finding more tubes that I like for my Cyber-20 and nOrh CD-1, rolling them in when I want a different sound. To me tubes are a no brainer for headphone amps as cans are easy to drive compared to speakers.
Thumbs up for both tube amps and CD players.

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

DON'T FLAME!

you should realize by now this is a pretty flame free board. I don't remember any flame war current or past.

P.S. Buzz Osborne is the rock god of all time...good choice Jaghouse!

Jan 15, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 47
Tubes are like magic.

The best thing about solid state is that it is more portable and requires less maintenance. But you pay for it in sound.

Jan 15, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 47
Take a listen to both.
The only person who can make that decision for you is...... YOU!

I think overall, you will probably take more of a liking to tubes, but nobody will think any worse of you of for going solid state.

I went down the tube path with my 'speaker' amps around 18 months ago and have not looked back. I've heard many Solid State setups since, many of which are more expensive, but I have no yearning to go back to Solid State and if anything I now want upgrade from my SS Pre to a tubed one.

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Take a listen!

Good listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 47
There are no hard and fast rules. I agree with most of what has been said above. However, I had the experience last fall of hearing a pair of restored Audio Research monoblocs hardwired from a Bryston preamp (Arcam CDP, PSB Speakers). Those AR monoblocs were the amps of my dreams...but couldn't touch my Electrocompaniet, which is solid state (Class A bias). I was shocked (in a non-electrical sense), to put it mildly.

Jan 15, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 47
In the electronical sense they are. You could turn solid state amps on and off all day long and you wouldn't really do anything to it. Can't say the same for tubes.

Jan 15, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 47
I used to laugh at the idea of tubes. For someone raised in the digital age of newer-faster-better, I just rejected the idea of tubes-- so retro! Then I got into headphones. I figured this must be the ONLY application in which these no-power 1940's state-of-the-art technology MIGHT have an application given the low power requirements of headphones.

I had been frustrated by 2 Headroom ss amps (Home, MOH old versions). They weren't "musical" to me, yet they performed flawlessly.

So I did an about-face and bought an Earmax Pro just to see and it cleaned the Headroom product's clocks. It sounded "right" to me, not at all colored. I now own a Berning MicroZOTL (way recommended) and I am auditioning a Melos Gold right now-- both tube amps, and both fantastic. Tubes increase my enjoyment factor.

All this time I was a tube man and never knew it. Once you go tubed, you never go back.

markl

P.S. If you go with tubes, you must be prepared to get NOS tubes which require an immense amount of research to get right. This will either engross and enchant you, or frustrate and irritate you.

P.P.S. Tubes are utterly fickle devices, and THEY WEAR OUT. You must replace them over time, and the cost of disappearing NOS tubes is going up and up and up......

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
P.S. If you go with tubes, you must be prepared to get NOS tubes which require an immense amount of research to get right. This will either engross and enchant you, or frustrate and irritate you.

Or both.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back