Need some help(tube vs solid)
Jan 16, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 47
All amps should be endowed with the EMP's bass. Best bass ever with HD600. EVER.

markl

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
All amps should be endowed with the EMP's bass. Best bass ever with HD600. EVER.

markl

Agreed.....
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #18 of 47
A good solid state amp is more accurate. But many
people prefer the way tubes sound. Tubes color and add harmonics that some people think makes the music sound more musical. Tubes also allow for alot more tweaking to get things just the just the way you like. Buy what you like. Or buy one of each
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

I hope so, Mark and Rick. I'll find out soon enough........my EMP has left Australia and is now in LA........only 3,000 more miles. Mark and Rick, how's the midrange on the EMP.....female vocals in particular? Are Senns the best match?

Jan 16, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #20 of 47
Joe, IMO the bass and mids are excellent with the EMP. Vocals are full and round. This amp really sounds like good ol' tubes, to me. The Senns seem to have a special synergy with the EMP.

Hmmm, 3000 miles, huh???

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 47
Los Angeles, not Louisiana.
You know, right now I'm listening to a modded MG Head (no negative feedback) with Mullard CV4004 and Ei El84s. I'm using the Sony MDR-CD1700s (foam removal mod) and the music is Steely Dan's CD Decade. Are you trying to tell me that it get's better than this? Not possible.
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #24 of 47
I would disagree with the statement that SS is more accurate, has more details or more bass. Thats some sweeping generalization. It really depends on how the circuit is implemented. I would almost say the opposite is true if I could. I prefer the modded MG Head over all the other SS amps I've heard. It has got tons of detail, probably even more than the SS amps. BTW joe, it can get better. The MG Head is not perfect. Although it is not very noticeable at all times, there is some frequency rolloff in the modded MG Head. I believe I can build an even better amp with some upgraded OPTs. For it's price, it hard to beat however.

Jan 16, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #25 of 47
In my somewhat limited experience...

I've heard really beautiful tube amps for prices that a good solid state can't touch. That said, I've never really seen anyone claim the totally flat responses that extremely expensive solid states can claim.

I think <blasphemy> in the low end of audio, accuracy is overrated. I don't doubt people who say the Omega II system is pretty accurate, but it costs $6000. If all you have is $200 worth of headphones, they're not going to be flat and matching that to a "totally flat" expensive amp out of what is likely not an extremely high end source seems like barking up the wrong tree to me.</blasphemy> So, in other words, tubes are an awesome value and as people here have discovered, are great for component matching and creating a synergy that you just can't get without spending a lot more money in the solid state world.

Now who wants to explain this technically. That's what I'd like to read.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kelly

Jan 17, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #26 of 47
The only real single advantage of solid state over tubes is portability. You can make a nice portable with solid state devices. But not really from tubes.

Otherwise, you have to consider the headphones you will be using, and what type of sound you like. Personal preference.

If I was going to stick to my Sony MDR7506's or Sennheiser HD570's my old Creek OBH11 would be tolerable, the Headroom Supreme nice. But with the HD600's, neither of these two worked for me, for what I wanted.

So I got the MG Head OTL. Much happier with this. In this case, the high impedence output of the MG Head made the HD600's tolerable. Then there is the "Tube sound", which is ok. If anyone made a solid state amp with high impedence drive at a reasonable price I would have preferred that.

All a matter of what you want, and what you can afford.

Jan 17, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
The only real single advantage of solid state over tubes is portability.

That's a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? Just as "tubes can't be accurate" is.

I can think of plenty of advantages solid state has over tubes. I can also think of quite a few tubes have over SS.

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #28 of 47
So, do tubes and solid state devices have different frequency response curves? Can't you correct that with high quality components and good circuit design (and the more you flattened it out, the less difference there would be?)

I'm still not convinced why spending several hundred dollars on tubes when you could just tweak the equilization to make things "warmer" rather than spending all that money.
frown.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
So, do tubes and solid state devices have different frequency response curves?

No. Quote:

Can't you correct that with high quality components and good circuit design (and the more you flattened it out, the less difference there would be?)

Nope. Quote:

I'm still not convinced why spending several hundred dollars on tubes when you could just tweak the equilization to make things "warmer" rather than spending all that money.

No-one's trying to convince you. Well, I'm not, anyway...

Dude you are so far from "clued" that the light from "Clue" will take ... well, quite a while to reach you.

Have you ever heard tubes? It's a life-changing experience...

Sorry, don't mean to rag on you, but...you were kind of asking for it (trolling/baiting?)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back