Need some help choosing IEMs
May 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lukazas

New Head-Fier
Hello there, so long story short, all my life I used stock mobile phone earbuds that you get then you buy a new phone, but one day friend of mine borrowed me some great IEMs, cant remember their name, but i was blown away by quality and clarity, so i decided to buy one for my self. I have read a lot of reviews and a lot of guides for buying IEMs.

I used ljokerl review of 279 IEMs http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

So I narrowed my search for these four items HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline ; VSonic GR06 ; Shure SE215 ; Audio-Technica ATH-CKM500.

And now i can`t decided which one's to get , as you can see from my post count I`am totally new here and this all driver,independence,hertz business, so I`am asking for your help.

Also is theres a dramatic quality change then you use amp for one of these IEMs , if so which one, and how does it change listening experience.

BTW: My favorite music genres are Dubstep, DnB, EDM, Hip-Hop ect.Earphones with a little more bass would be nice, my budget is about 100$ for earphones and mabey later about 30$ for amp if it's needed.Also durability is a major factor too, i really like the GR06 and SE215 cables.

I`am open for your suggestions and if you have a better suggestion for my needs I would appreciate if you share it with me.

Sorry for my poor english, I`am not native english speaker.

May 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Hello there, so long story short all my life I used stock mobile phone earbuds that i get then I buy a new phone, but one day friend borrowed me some great IEMs, cant remember their name, but i was blown away by quality and clarity, so i decided to buy some for my self and I read a lot of reviews and a lot of guides for buying good quality IEMs.

I used ljokerl review of 279 IEMs http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

So I narrowed my search for these four items HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline ; VSonic GR06 ; Shure SE215 ; Audio-Technica ATH-CKM500.

And now i can`t decided which one to get , as you can see from my post count I`am totally new here and this all driver,independence,hertz business, and I`am asking for your help.

Also is theres a dramatic quality change then you use amp for one of these IEMs , if so which one, and how does it change listening experience.

BTW: My favorite music genres are Dubstep, DnB, EDM, Hip-Hop, Rap.And earphones with a little more bass would be nice and my budget is about 100$ for earphones and mabey later about 30$ for amp if its needed.Also durability is a major factor too, i really like the GR06 and SE215 cables.

I`am open for your opinions ,and if you have a better suggestion for my needs I would appreciate if you share it with me.

Sorry for my poor english, I`am not native english speaker.

First off - (in case you haven't found this, another place to ask questions) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Regarding the amp thing - dramatic might be an understatement, it might very well be an overstatement. Usually transducer (i.e. the actual IEMs) upgrades are more significant, and the difference is really not clear cut enough IMO to be worrying about amps over IEMs at this stage. Take a lot of the "massive improvements and synergy" with a grain of salt, just like you would with any other opinion on the internet.

That being said, here is another arbitrary opinion from the internet - out of your 4, the GR06 would be the least bassy and aggressive out of the lot. Very much a mid-centric and laid-back listen. The RE-400s might be a little bit too balanced and unaggressive as well.

The SE215s might fit nicely sound-wise, the cable is thick, but the actual removable mechanism...the earlier batch had some defects in that area in particular, not so much anymore but the mechanism itself, can be a bit iffy. I just wouldn't remove the cable at all if it wasn't necessary - anything can break if you happen to not take good care of it.

The CKM500s are nice as well if you enjoy sparkle, the CKN70s are also worth a look if you want something more mid-forward and thicker or note but still powerful down low. For even more copious bass the CKS99s are worth a look as well.

I'd also suggest the IE800s for something a bit more subdued against the ATs but still fairly assertive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back