Need some feedback on portable amps.
Jul 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm about to order one of these amps:

Welcome to Electric-Avenues.com - More About The Portable Headphones Amplifier

and was wanting to get some general feedback on it. I'll be using this with UE SF5pros and Sennheiser PX200s, and my source will be either an iRiver H300 or Cowon D2.

I mainly listen to Jazz and rock, but do listen to some classical tracks and lounge/ambient stuff.

I must comment that Gary is one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it actually sound?

While I was waiting for mine (a long time ago when I bought one), Gary said that his amps sound a touch warm. When I got the amp it was faintly warm, with a great bass floor. From memory, this amp really loves a good sound source. I don't have mine now, but never had a problem with it.

You MAY need to buy a set of cheap "watchmakers" screwdrivers, you know the little ones that cost about $3.00 ? I say this as I needed to adjust the gain pots to get the right volume. Its just 2 simple blue "screws" on the board when you open the case.
Gary is a cool dude!!!
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 43
The PA2V2 was my firs headphone amp, Gary is a great guy to deal with and he has excellent custormer service.

The amp is indeed a bit warm sounding so it goes great w/ Grado and Etymotic. The battery (2) last about 60 hours between charges. Good luck.

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 43
Right, I shall put in an order when I get paid at the end of next week!

Gary was unbelivably nice in his emails: Very thorough and polite. My friend is getting a new motorcycle soon, and so hes interested in the motorcycle version of this amp.

Would the sound be too warm with something like UEs? I definitely do like the fact that its got great bass as I find thats very important when listening to smooth jazz tracks (e.g. Melody Gardot).

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Right, I shall put in an order when I get paid at the end of next week!

Gary was unbelivably nice in his emails: Very thorough and polite. My friend is getting a new motorcycle soon, and so hes interested in the motorcycle version of this amp.

Would the sound be too warm with something like UEs? I definitely do like the fact that its got great bass as I find thats very important when listening to smooth jazz tracks (e.g. Melody Gardot).

I don't remember anyone giving bad reports about Gary. It's always the same as yours and I agree. I wish all vendors were as responsive as Gary.

I owned a PA2v2 for a short time. Mine was a model which didn't have the gain option. I thought it was slightly bassy but not overly so. It just depends on how much bass you like I think...I've never used any UE.

I like Melody's "Worrisome Heart" CD also. Are you aware of her accident a few years ago which led to her becoming involved in music? Her story is inspirational.

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 43
I am very aware of her story. In fact, I can relate to it.

I had a traffic accident earlier in the year. I was on the way to dinner with my mum, and whilst trying to turn right at an intersection my little hatchback got swipped by a tradesman trying to speed through an intersection. My car got hit from the passenger side, than spun around until I landed up against a sign post.

My mum had a fractured back and 4 broken ribs, and I had a small back fracture and a busted right knee which is still requiring constant physiotherapy. I also slammed my head hard against the side pillar of the car, and I have currently have short term memory problems, loss of sleep and other crap like that. I think I also have some personality changes as well, as I used to hate jazz, but now I absolutely love it. In fact, I went so far as to buy a bass guitar and am getting pretty good at it. My previous piano experiences certainly helped.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 43
Thanks for sharing your story. Did you just happen to like Melody's music previous to your injury without knowing or had you read about her history first?

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had one. It's a great little starter amp that won't disappoint you. Good value, good support and easy to resell should you decide to upgrade.

Whats the resale value like? Not that I'd end up selling it even if I upgrade I think...

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

I was just out looking for CDs when I was visiting my sister down in Geelong, and I was recommended her CD from somebody.

Thought she was just another great artist until I read her stuff on last.fm

OK. From your words I was trying to guess where you lived...AUS I see.

FWIW I sold my PA2v2 for $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back