Need some feedback on portable amps.
Aug 2, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #33 of 43
Ergonomics are a silly reason to get the Headsix.
tongue.gif

It's big, thick, heavy, and the top and bottom are curved for some inexplicable reason so it doesn't sit well against anything.

It also has 1/8" jacks that don't lock. I hate that. The sound is good, but the ergonomics (especially the size) are what made me sell it (along with the realisation that portable amps aren't necessary for IEMs).

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #35 of 43
As Mr Arroyo said the minibox e+ sounds great except the new version with the buttons like I have doesn't have the socket for op-amp swapping. It looks like they are soldered in. BTW thanks MrArroyo for that minibox pic but the inside of mine looks different unfortunately.

Also the minibox just fits alot more flush and isn't as awkward when its velcroed up against my ipod compared to the PA2V2.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2nd EDIT: Just got another recommendation. Penguine Caffeine Ultra?

I have a Penguin Caffeine amp in the mail for me that I am paring with my Grado SR-80s and a LOD when I buy it and it ships. My source is a 3rd generation iPod. I will let you know how it does when I get it (if you haven't already purchased one by then).

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #38 of 43
nsx, there are a few forum members here who live in Melbourne. Have a look at the Melbourne meet thread to see who attended and try contacting them and seeing if you can have a listen to their amps before you select and buy one for yourself.
Reviews are only useful up to a point, then you have to make a selection and just go for it. The only opinion on an amp that matters is your own.
If you lived in Sydney you would be more than welcome to try my selection, i am sure the Melbourne head-fiers will be as equally helpful.

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #41 of 43
Thanks!

My father has just purchased me an amplifier in HK, but he won't tell me what it is......

Should be getting it next week. Can't wait to see what it is! I have a feeling it won't be an RSA though..

Either way, I'm still going to buy something myself. Got offered an XXS for about $170.

EDIT: Just checked through those threads. None of them seem to have amps I'm interested in buying at the moment (ie they're not within my price range)
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #42 of 43
i loved my pa2v2 when i was using it... i've considered selling it but just can't let it go... what if someone suddenly starts making a LOD for the sansa e200 series? what if i buy a different player that has a line out jack or a LOD available for it? what if i dust off my pcdp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back