Need some expert advice on getting new headphones.
Nov 23, 2010 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sm00th

New Head-Fier
Hello forum!

I need A LOT of help for getting some new headphones within the price range of $30 to $100. Only problem is, it MUST be from BestBuy, since the price range includes my $60 bestbuy gift card. Anyhow, a brief history of my headphones are:

1. Standard Apple headphones (eventually sound was not equal between the two channels) owned them for about a year~Trashed
2. Creative HS-400 (almost the same thing with the Apple headphones, except both eventually stopped working) owned them for about 4-5 months ~Trashed
3. Koss KSC75 [current headphones] (the left channel has stopped working, but works when I twist/position them in a certain way) owned them for about 5-6 months ~Soon to be trashed

My usage style:
-I use my headphones almost 24/7 (therefore comfort is important)
-I don't listen to any one-type of music, my choices in music vary from techno to classical (need decent sound quality)
-I don't workout with my headphones*
-I need durable headphones, despite the point above, I'm tired of my headphones not working because the god damn cords get messed up.
-I like clip-on type of headphones (like the KSC75's) but I'd be glad to try out in-ear or over the head type of headphones

After doing my novice research, I found the Koss PortaPro's to be the likely candidate for my next headphones. Yet, I know the cord/wiring is similar to that of the KSC75's...so I'm holding back.

So the Bose IE2 headphones came in at 2nd place, at exactly $100, but I'm not sure if these would match my headphone lifestyle.

Please. Help. Me.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 9
The problem with Best Buy is that a lot of the stuff is overpriced.  I remember when my boss gave me gift cards for Xmas and I realized that the gift cards only reduced the price enough to keep it competitive with other stores.

That said...

- Shure SRH440 are not bad and they're fairly durable.  It's fairly strong and the detachable cable should help if you have any troubles with your cables in the future.
- Klipsch S4 are a bit bass heavy but are fairly respectable IEMs.

The rest are not necessarily that durable like the Senn PX100/200.

Maybe others will give their suggestion, but that's all I can see.  Though I'd probably say keep that gift card for something else and buy headphones from another place.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Maybe others will give their suggestion, but that's all I can see.  Though I'd probably say keep that gift card for something else and buy headphones from another place.

Right, I was thinking about this as well. Hmm...then I'll leave this completely open, what would be the best headphones within the price range of $10-$50 that match the criteria I posted above? Doesn't matter from where, preferably a trustworthy website though.

Thanks again for the response!

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Calling all experts, calling all experts on a forum where people often spend over $1,000 on headphones.  We need experts for a $30 purchase.

I second the Creative Aurvana Live.  They are on sale right now at Amazon for $70.  Very comfortable, very audiophile-quality sound.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Here are some recommendations for ya:

Sennheiser HD203, HD205-II, HD218, HD238, HD428, PX100

Beyerdynamic DT 235

Shure SRH240, SRH440

Of these headphones only the HD428, HD203 and the HD205-II are available in store where as the rest are online only, though the selection might be different in your BestBuy.  All of these 'phones are stellar options and you should be good with any of them.  However, based on your usage I would suggest taking a close look at the Sennheisers namely the PX100.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Calling all experts, calling all experts on a forum where people often spend over $1,000 on headphones.  We need experts for a $30 purchase.

Lol, no need to sound sarcastic/condescending. FYI, some people value $30 as much as others would value a thousand--or a million for that matter. I didn't realize this forum was for those type of purchases....so I apologize if I offended anyone by asking a question that any true expert wouldn't bother to answer.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look at ALL the suggestions later tonight. For those who haven't suggested...keep em' coming! :D

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Quote:

Lol, no need to sound sarcastic/condescending. FYI, some people value $30 as much as others would value a thousand--or a million for that matter. I didn't realize this forum was for those type of purchases....so I apologize if I offended anyone by asking a question that any true expert wouldn't bother to answer.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look at ALL the suggestions later tonight. For those who haven't suggested...keep em' coming! :D

Don't worry about it.  Though you should take advantage of the search function and at least view this thread:

Portable Headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-59-portable-headphones-compared-earpollution-throwbax-subjekt-ak-hd1000-added-11-21

IEMs:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-120-iems-compared-earjax-lyrics-tonic-added-11-22

Those threads are particularly nice since it sorts by pricing.  If you scroll towards the bottom you'll see a nice chart marking up numbered ratings and prices for a quick comparison.  It's good to be a bit proactive in this website since not everyone has the same likes and dislikes when it comes to what headphones they like.  |joker| did an amazing job putting it all together so take a look.  Read some of the indepth reviews because it might tell you something about the sound signature you're looking for (bass heavy, emphasis on mids, or sparkling treble).

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 9

Okay, after weeks of research I've decided to go with the Sennheiser PX100's. I've read great things about these on this forum, customer reviews, other forums, etc. I only have one question though, which should I buy--the original Sennheiser PX100's OR the Sennheiser PX100-II's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back