Need right solution for FPS gaming and heavy music listening
Aug 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rehban

New Head-Fier
First off, I've used the forum in the past and you guys have been an invaluable source of information in helping me get the setup I already have, thank you! Now I need an upgrade.

The short:

Went from X-Fi Forte 7.1 to Xonar DG back to the X-Fi, now need an upgrade, and I'm sick of dealing with the crackling issue (my 2nd Forte).

Need to drive an ATH-AD900.

It needs to sound great in games (mostly FPS) and needs to be LOUD. Love the Forte because it's loud and has a decent bass boost.

Would prefer under $100 but can spend up to $200 if it's worth it. Keep the DG and buy a different amp? Buy a USB DAC? Asus vs. Claro? Not sure the best way to go.

Note: I have no interest and probably never will change OPAMP's unless this is the best way and I only have to do it once.
(Currently looking at Xonar STX w/ Uni drivers as possible best option)

Thank you kindly in advance for your help!

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 7
X-Fi Titanium HD. Has a bit of extra punch to the bass over the X-Fi Forte (and Prelude), and that's without factoring in bass boost or EQ. And like the Forte, it's quite loud.

The drivers are also more stable, so you shouldn't have any crackling issues.

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks NamelessPFG!

I've read that the stock drivers for that card are actually an improvement over previous gen and might not need PAX, but I could be wrong..

Has anyone listened to both the TiHD and the ST/STX or Phoebus, or all 3, and noticed one outright winning their ears over?

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I've tried the X-Fi titanium HD and i have the Xonar ST and I've also tried the auzentech bravura. I honestly feel that they all sound fairly similar. If I had to choose one though, I would say the Xonar ST sounds clearer by a bit, which is why I bought it over the titanium HD.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 7
If you're not in a big hurry, creative is releasing their new line up of SC's that compare to the ST/X's at the end of the year.  Personally, I'm gonna hold out until then hoping that those cards will push the prices of all SC's lower.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I've read that the stock drivers for that card are actually an improvement over previous gen and might not need PAX, but I could be wrong..

Has anyone listened to both the TiHD and the ST/STX or Phoebus, or all 3, and noticed one outright winning their ears over?

I don't use PAX drivers. Generally, I use Daniel_K driver packages for the X-Fi Prelude and Forte. They don't work on the Titanium HD, but I don't feel like I need them, either.

I haven't tried any C-Media cards from Asus, HT Omega, Auzentech, or anyone else, though, and I don't have plans to buy them just for review's sake, since I don't expect them to win out over the X-Fi cards in DirectSound3D and OpenAL gaming performance (mostly through CMSS-3D Headphone providing 3D binaural sound instead of virtual 7.1 and EAX 3/4/5 support), and I still play a lot of games that use those APIs.

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 7
NamelessPFG, your insight has been great.

I am looking at buying something this week, so it looks like I'll be trying the TiHD, especially since if it's "close enough" to the STX/ST, it definitely beats it out in price by a wide margin right now.

Thanks again guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back