Need Replacement for Sennheiser Momentum
Feb 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

RugbyPlayer

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I come here seeking quick advice because my exchange policy is almost up. The Sennheiser momentum earpads are too small for my ears, so it seems as though ill need a different set. I bought them from BH photo video so i would prefer just an exchange rather than a return and buying somewhere else. 

What is there out there about the same price, very good audio quality with larger ear pads than the Momentum?

I do generally like the sound however i have heard if the pads dont fully cover your ears then you dont get the true benefit anyways so its tough to judge if i really liked the quality. I will say these will be my first set of close to audophile phones so i really have no standard atm

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 40
I would suggest the Sony MDR-1R. B & H Photo sells them, that's where I bought mine. I auditioned mdr-1r and Momentous for about a month. These are two of the closest sounding headphones that I have heard. Both are very comfortable in my opinion, but the mdr's are slightly more comfortable because they fit completely around my ear while the momentum fit a little on ear (I have normal size ears, btw). In the end I preferred the sound of the momentous more than the mdr's, slightly more clear and I preferred the highs, so I sent the MDR's back. But again, both sound very similar, I think the Sony MDR-1R would be the best substitute and I just checked B&H website before posting this reply and it does appear that they are in stock. Hope this helps.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 40
I second the Sony MDR-R1 - this is easily the only seriously comparable headphone to the Momentum.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 40
B&H has the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro LE32's in stock for $249. They might be big, but the are super comfortable and only 32 ohm's, making them run easily off any portable device. I absolutely love the look of the Momentums, and I am a huge fan of Sennheiser, but comfort is also something that I am considering with them. I am a fan of circumaural-closed cans so logically I would love the Momentums. I do have what I would consider slightly smaller ears than normal so I might be okay! Anyway, I don’t think you would be disappointed with the DT’s! Good luck, happy listening!     

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 40
Looking around on this site i see pretty promising reviews of both of the cans listed. Has anyone owned both and can give me a comparison of the two? it does seem like the Sony's have more negative marks in several reviews as opposed to the beyer's

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 40
Check out the Logitech UE6000. Sounds much better than the Momentum and as an added bonus it's also much cheaper.

EDIT: dpippel, you just barely beat me to it...lol.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 40
I've had both and I ended up keeping my, Sony's. They are a lot more comfortable to me then the Momentums were. Sound wise I enjoy the MDR-1R over the Momentums. The Momentums did come with a better case, but it is a little big. I enjoyed the Momentums, just not as much as I enjoys the MDR-1R.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:
Check out the Logitech UE6000. Sounds much better than the Momentum and as an added bonus it's also much cheaper.

EDIT: dpippel, you just barely beat me to it...lol.

Way too much bass however. This must be taken into consideration.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 40
UE doesn't have replaceable earpads? What happen when they deteriorated?

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 40
Way too much bass however. This must be taken into consideration.

I didn't find that at all. I thought the bass was very well done. Comparable to the Momentum in quantity, but with maybe a touch more lower bass impact.

I use eq to dial down the bass on my M100, but I don't think I would use eq on the UE6000.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 40
i read soundstage on the ue6000 is worse than momentum. can anyone confirm that? which of them sounds more open/spacious? i like good instrument separation and layering in soundstage depth.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 40
i read soundstage on the ue6000 is worse than momentum. can anyone confirm that? which of them sounds more open/spacious? i like good instrument separation and layering in soundstage depth.

UE6000 is much better in all categories, imho. Sennheiser makes other portable headphones that are better than the Momentum, such as the Amperior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back