Need recommendations for DT 880's
Oct 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

00birdy

100+ Head-Fier
Been doing a little searching, things I liked were the Indeed tube amps I saw on ebay, and the Fiio stuff is nice looking and affordable too.  Trying to stay under $200.  With that said, I have no idea what I'm really looking at when it comes to amps. 

These will be dedicated computer headphones, won't be traveling with me.  I'm thinking the same for my amp equipment. 

computer setup is 7.1 onboard sound -> digital optical cable -> logitech z5500 headunit -> DT 880s (250ohm).

I noticed some amps had different types of plug ins and wondering what I would have to change my setup to if depending on the amps I got.  Also is it not recommended running an amp through the z5500 ?  I wouldn't even know how to hook that up really.

Type of music is mostly trance but I prefer more mids/highs.  I heard the tube would be great for warming up the mids which I think it needs the most.  I think the indeed stuff is pretty but then again so is the E9.  but I'm not sure what i'm really looking at here sorry for being such a noob!

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Been doing a little searching, things I liked were the Indeed tube amps I saw on ebay, and the Fiio stuff is nice looking and affordable too.  Trying to stay under $200.  With that said, I have no idea what I'm really looking at when it comes to amps. 
These will be dedicated computer headphones, won't be traveling with me.  I'm thinking the same for my amp equipment. 
computer setup is 7.1 onboard sound -> digital optical cable -> Logitech z5500 headunit -> DT 880s (250ohm).
I noticed some amps had different types of plug ins and wondering what I would have to change my setup to if depending on the amps I got.  Also is it not recommended running an amp through the z5500 ?  I wouldn't even know how to hook that up really.
Type of music is mostly trance but I prefer more mids/highs.  I heard the tube would be great for warming up the mids which I think it needs the most.  I think the indeed stuff is pretty but then again so is the E9.  but I'm not sure what I'm really looking at here sorry for being such a noob!

Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $65 on eBay.
The sound card comes with a CS4398 DAC chip, and has Dolby Headphone surround sound.
Tube Headphone amplifiers sell for $50 on Amazon.
I would have no problem ordering an Indeed tube amp.

So you would connect the Z5500 to the Xonar's optical output and the headphone amplifier to the Xonar's line-out/headphone jack (green).

Or connect the Z5500 with 3 analog cables to the green/black/orange connections on the Xonar (better sound for speakers, using Xonar's DAC).
And connect the headphone amplifier to the computer case front headphone jack.

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the help.  If we can get more specific about amps, how would the fiio E9 compare with the Indeed G3 or Mk2? (Indeed recommended the G3.  ECC82EH version when I asked)

Also noticed the G3 has RCA inputs/outputs, is that considered the best way to connect them or should I get an amp with digital connections

Here's the different tubes they offer

Also none of those Asus sound cards listed had S/PDIF-outs. 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks for the help.  If we can get more specific about amps, how would the Fiio E9 compare with the Indeed G3 or Mk2? (Indeed recommended the G3.  ECC82EH version when I asked)
Also noticed the G3 has RCA inputs/outputs, is that considered the best way to connect them or should I get an amp with digital connections
Here's the different tubes they offer
Also none of those Asus sound cards listed had S/PDIF-outs. 
confused_face_2.gif

Most tube amps come with RCA (& 3.5mm) analog signal inputs

The ones with RCA outputs come with a pre-amp function.
I've guessing it allows you to boost the line signal to a separate "something",
or maybe it's just a pass thru signal feature, not sure.

The Asus sound cards come with S/PDIF optical outputs.
The DG & DGX are limited to 2-channel PCM optical output (no DDL compression)
Most other Asus sound card come with S/PDIF (optical) compression.
Higher end Asus sound cards come with S/PDIF & coaxial outputs

Amplifiers themselves do not come with digital connections.
DACs or DAC/amps come with digital (input) connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back