Need recommendation for wife - workout cans
Jul 4, 2008 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Hey guys,

My wife's birthday is coming up, and she is asking for some workout cans to run with. She basically wants something that wraps around her ears, then inserts into her ear. I don't think something like that exists, but I figured I would ask the experts. She doesn't want or like the IEM's, as the concept of sticking something in her ear that far scares her a bit, and I believe she is looking for something kind of hassle free. So I guess she is looking for an over the ear - ear bud type of thing. I hope that makes sense. Cheaper the better, sound quality not the biggest issue more comfort for her. Thanks.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 16
I think maybe you are looking for "over-the-ear" hooks, like some of the old IEMs, but then "on-the-ear" cushions, like some regular cans.

That market is owned by Koss, and lots of peopler here like the el-cheapo Koss KSC75 ... $17 on Amazon, and they sit on the ear with pads, clipping over the ear, as I said. No headband, but not IEMs.

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think maybe you are looking for "over-the-ear" hooks, like some of the old IEMs, but then "on-the-ear" cushions, like some regular cans.

That market is owned by Koss, and lots of peopler here like the el-cheapo Koss KSC75 ... $17 on Amazon, and they sit on the ear with pads, clipping over the ear, as I said. No headband, but not IEMs.

That is actually an excellent recommendation - is there anything that has the over the ear clip, but then it inserts into the ear? I think that is her "ideal" workout can but again I am not sure if it exists.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recstar -- I think I get it now. You want "over the ear" clips and you also want "in the ear" drivers like IEMs, but you do not want to have to insert the drivers all the way in.

So try the:

Altec Lansing UHP307 - Airfit Clip-On Open-Air Stereo Earbuds

Or others like them. Here is a whole lineup:

Ear Clip-On Headphones | B&H Photo Video

Excellent, thanks, I appreciate it, did not even know so many of this type exist. I guess you call them clip ons, but a clip on that can go into the ear like an ear bud style. How are those sony mdr's? The altec lansing looks good, but fear it may be too bulky for my wife.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are those sony mdr's? The altec lansing looks good, but fear it may be too bulky for my wife.

No personal flying time with them, sorry. B&H has a great return policy, however.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 16
You mean an earbud headphone (one that does not insert into the ear canal) that has an over-the-ear arm support? Try the Audio Technica ATH-EC7 or EC700.

If you want some cheaper alternatives, Sony makes alot of those types anywhere from $20-70.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 16
I don't know how they sound as I have never tried them before, but the Klipsch Customs are like that (at least the Custom 2) but for clip on non in ear, the Sennheiser OMX70 Sport is great. Very comfortably and great SQ and you get them for as cheap as $15-$20. Those I have had, but I always had the cord going under my hoodie and it messed it up. Anyone know how the Klipsch Custom 2's compare with Westone UM1 or the OMX70 Sports? I think I would like a comfortable over-in-ear IEM.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Not totally freestanding over-the-ear clips, but maybe she'd like the Sennheiser PMX70.

Sennheiser USA - PMX70 Sport - Product Details

IMO, they are good soundwise (much fuller spectrum than most earbuds (not canal or IEMs, earbuds), mainly because they are tilted frontward and the larger buds on them fill your ears so that you get better isolation. Probably similar to metllicamilitia's previous response here and his suggestion on the OMX70 from Sennheiser, but not sure, as I have not tried those.

I just am not crazy about the over the ear clip thing...it always bugs me. The behind the head/neck band on this one is decent though.

I went the headband mod on my Koss KSC-75 phones, too. I just can't stand that feeling of clip-ons. Personal preference, I guess. However, these very cheap KSC-75's are amazing, soundwise....unbelievable for the price.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 16
thanks yoyo for the rec, those look sweet. I agree I use the koss 75's and absolutely love them, I find them relatively comfortable and fit somewhat snugly for a clip on, but could be better. The around the ear feel does not bother me, nor has my wife ever said she was bothered by it. She did try the koss ksc75's I have and she said she doesn't like how the pads sit against her ears, and would rather have something that can be inserted. I then asked her "oh, like an inner ear monitor?" - and she said "No!!! I don't want to stick something that far into my ear." Ah the dilemna.

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 16
Hey, how about the Sony MDR-J10? Moisture resistant, pretty good sound and can be had for below $20! Different color options, too.
tongue.gif
Check Best Buy and Circuit City.

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound of my PMX70 is no where as good as the PMX100 that I have. I had to give the PMX70 to my 13yr old kid because I didn't like them much.

Yeah, I agree there, bud. I actually only would recommend them over "most" other earbuds (not IEMs), due to their seemingly better isolation. Those bigger "buds" on them and the inward-turned angle of the buds seems to help close off the ear opening for better isolation than *most* earbuds.

I actually returned my PMX70's, only because I couldn't take the pinch of the head/neck-band. That's just personal, as I have yet to find one that doesn't give me a headache after just minimal listening time. Dunno, they just pinch something somewhere that bugs me....hehe.

Back to the KSC-75 (headband-mod'd, overhead), and the Senn MX460 for earbuds, for me, for now.

I *do* think though, that for an exercise/active usage, the PMX70 would still be a favorable choice for most folks, as long as the "sport" style headband/neckband doesn't bug ya, like it does me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back