Need recommendation for reliable, simple watch..
Aug 11, 2002 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
I am just now starting to be terribly annoyed with the lack of the weight of a watch on my left wrist...

Yep, my trusty nixon watch was stolen a week ago..

So what I'm thinking is, I need a simple clean looking watch. Perhaps a seiko??

I know there are a lot of watch fanatics here at head-fi.... Speak up!!

--- > Oh yeah, my budget lies in between 100 and 150 buxxors.

Aug 11, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 18
this isn't exactly on topic, but I would recommend buying a watch directly from switzerland. Buying a swiss-made watch from switzerland can save you a bundle of what you would pay in the US for the same watch.

Make sure to discuess shipping options with the dealer though, getting the watch shipped in a fashion that will avoid the import taxes (for example, as a repair) will save you about 10%.

Driftwood

Aug 12, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 18
Collect bottles for a couple weeks, and buy an Omega! Okay, all joking aside, just don't buy a Fossil. They may look nice, but they're crap.

This Swiss Army Cavalry is quite nice. It's $175. Has a leather band, which I think are cool, but personally, am not fond of (because I'd destroy it in a week). Ashford.com's entire Men's Swiss Army collection is quite nice -- check them out.

Ahh -- some filtering. Here's Ashford's Wenger Men's Casual watch listings. Very cool stuff in there in your range.

Aug 12, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 18
Whaa? No fossil? I was thinking I might get one one day. . .

But at my current rate, my casio should last me for a good while. I got it for my first communion! That's . . . GOOD LORD! Over 8 years ago! Its a Casio CBX-1000. It's served me well.

Aug 12, 2002 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 18
Flasken: I've got a Seiko since I was 13, if that helps.
wink.gif
It's very classical analog style with date and roman digits, not waterproof (but I'm civilized anyway
biggrin.gif
), leather band, not too big (large watches tend to look bulky if you have a small wrist...) - and it still works. What I can also recommend is the brand Boccia - they make modern style analog watches with titanium cases. These are waterproof and fairly rugged for their elegant look. Not expensive, either. I've got a standard and a chronograph version of these since a few years - I think the cronograph was ~ 260 DM (135 Euro), then (also got mineral glass - no scratches, yet...). Citizen might also have some nice models, if you're looking for the more popular and easy to find brands...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Found them on the web - here: http://www.silverprince.com/watches1.html - series 500 and 700 should be of interest, I guess...

Aug 12, 2002 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 18
I'd say don't collect bottles and don't buy an Omega. At least not the one I bought.

Speedmaster Automatic, looks like the "moon watch" but obviously, automatic rather than manual wind. The crown fell off - shaft broke from winding. I realize it's an automatic and maybe they didn't expect it to be wound much, but breaking isn't acceptable at that price level.

Then I got it repaired at an authorized Omega dealer - and when I set the time the crown unscrews. I have to set the time by only rotating backwards! Worse, winding feels like grinding pepper. Now it's off to Omega for repair again and I haven't seen it for six weeks.

I REALLY want a Rolex Sea Dweller. Nicest dive watch I've ever seen, and it looks absoutely bulletproof.

Aug 12, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 18
I've had a Seiko Chronograph for about five years now and I really like it. The only problems I have had with it are the self-inflicted wounds (wall slamming, blah blah blah) and they were cheap and fast to repair. It's not a Tag, but it didn't cost nearly as much and I can still see what time it is.

Aug 12, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 18
Hey, thx for replies everybody...

Yeah, I was wondering if tag heur is good or bad value??

Aug 12, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 18
Tag used to be great! I have had a "2000 professional" since 1990 and it has only needed a new battery 3 times. Waterproof, tough, reliable. Haven't bought one recently.

Aug 12, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 18
Have had a Tag Kirium for about 18 months. Got the automatic chronometer instead of a quartz. Runs just a little fast but w/i specs. Had previously had Seikos, but this Tag feels as if it is built like a tank.

Aug 12, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 18
Not too long ago an old school watchmaker I know stated that Tag's look nice but they're crap inside. He won't sell them.

I own and can recommend (and you really can't go wrong with) Citizen, Seiko, & Luminox.

Aug 12, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 18
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
I'd say don't collect bottles and don't buy an Omega. At least not the one I bought.

Speedmaster Automatic, looks like the "moon watch" but obviously, automatic rather than manual wind. The crown fell off - shaft broke from winding. I realize it's an automatic and maybe they didn't expect it to be wound much, but breaking isn't acceptable at that price level.

Then I got it repaired at an authorized Omega dealer - and when I set the time the crown unscrews. I have to set the time by only rotating backwards! Worse, winding feels like grinding pepper. Now it's off to Omega for repair again and I haven't seen it for six weeks.

I REALLY want a Rolex Sea Dweller. Nicest dive watch I've ever seen, and it looks absoutely bulletproof.

[/size]

i have a rolex air-king and it's awesome, but i have only had it for a few months. it's perpetual though, so i shouldn't ever need batteries.
wink.gif

my dad has an omega and has worn is pretty much every day for at least six years and it seems quite wonderful. he's never had a single problem with it and it still looks good. sorry about your luck with it. his is not a diving watch though; it's more of a gold dressy-type one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back