Need RCA in on a dac. Whats out there?
Jul 26, 2014 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Amish

500+ Head-Fier
I have been all over the web looking for a device that will allow me to input RCA from my tablet. 3.5mm to RCA to RCA in on dac.

I found the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 but I really wanted something without a tube. Is there anything else out there that has RCA input?

I would like to see RCA in, Coaxial in, Optical in and USB in. But RCA is important.

I know I can output via bluetooth or wireless RF from my tablet but I would have to buy a dac to do that as well and if I'm not mistaken outputting via 3.5mm will provide better audio compared to bluetooth or wifi.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 28
And how does a DAC interpret analog RCA signals? Why would you do this since you already have an analog signal, just go straight to your amp.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 28
I know I can go straight to my amp. I'm already doing that. But I then I can't run multiple sources off the amp without swapping cables.

I bought a passive preamp that should do the trick. but a dac that could do it would be best as I would be able to hook all my sources up at once.

The Maverick can do it but it's tubed so I would have preferred something without a tube. The preamp I bought doesn't do anything other than pass analogue through it.

See where I'm coming from now?

Sure my HK can handle everything but that is part of my two channel system and no longer being used with my headphone amp. My Ember has has one input so I need a DAC or preamp that can handle all connections. The preamp I bought is very basic (Schiit) and will only allow two analogue inputs and being passive (which is great for analogue) it will get the job done for me but if I could have found a DAC with RCA input I could have removed two devices from my stack, (My current DAC and the Schiit SYS).

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 28
Gotcha!
My misunderstanding, I think Audio-gd has a few DAC's with switchable inputs and a Line In or two, you might want to have a look at their stuff.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 28
We usually refer to that kind of digital input as coax digital or coax S/PDIF. When we talk about "RCA" we usually refer to the analogue output, for future reference. 
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 28
  We usually refer to that kind of digital input as coax digital or coax S/PDIF. When we talk about "RCA" we usually refer to the analogue output, for future reference. 
smile.gif

I am talking about analogue input RCA. That is what I'm looking for. Not coaxial. I wouldn't use RCA as a term if I meant digital.
wink_face.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 28

smile.gif

I am talking about analogue input RCA. That is what I'm looking for. Not coaxial. I wouldn't use RCA as a term if I meant digital.
wink_face.gif

Ok, gotcha. Seems I was confused as well. So a DAC basically for your tablet?

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 28
You do know that the tube on the Tube magic D1 does not affect headphone output. Only the preamp RCA output passes through the tube.

Otherwise, Audio-GD Compass 2 seems like what you want (verify), and you could get one for $399 + shipping.

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 28
I wouldn't be using the headphone out. I'd be using the RCA out to my tube amp. The compass 2 would work. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger though. Doing a lot of reading atm. Something like the Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Benchmark DAC2 L would be perfect for my needs. The only problem is the price. I don't have 2k just sitting around. But the inputs and outputs of this device are perfect. I'm all over the web looking for an alternative.

My tablet: Asus TF701T

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 28

wink_face.gif

Actually RCA refers to the plug and socket, so there is such a thing as RCA digital - more commonly known as "coaxial 75ohm SPDIF" - so-called because they were designed by RCA (kind of like how the S in that acronym is Sony). It became industry standard for home audio analogue interfaces, and later on, digital (although initially Sony CDPs used only optical/toslink; even now they tend to have only optical). Portable players with those digital output specs like the Fiio X3 use mini-TRS plugs since they're more compact, plus IEMs and headphones already use them.

In any case, if what you wanted was to integrate the tablet as a source for your system, have you checked the Android DACs thread if your tablet can output USB audio with an OTG adapter? Or if it can but may need other software tweaks, like upgrade to KitKat or rooting, or using USB Audio Player Pro player app? That way, as I assume your other source is a computer, if it has SPDIF output on the motherboard you can use that on the DAC's SPDIF input, then the Android can use OTG, provided that DAC doesn't need power through the USB interface (ie some DACs use the USB 5v to power some chips, like the USB receiver, maybe also the DAC, heck some run the analogue output stage off that too). This way you can avoid the tablet's integrated audio chip (which tends to have too many compromises between being an amped output and a line out altogether and both/all sources use the same DAC circuit.

Here's my Galaxy S3 on a 3rd party cradle, with a USB OTG adapter on the sync port and a USB cable after that, feeding a USB audio signal into the amp's USB input. I just had to get an A-Case Superleggera case so it's easy to remove without scratching up the phone.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 28
I wouldn't be using the headphone out. I'd be using the RCA out to my tube amp. The compass 2 would work. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger though. Doing a lot of reading atm. Something like the Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Benchmark DAC2 L would be perfect for my needs. The only problem is the price. I don't have 2k just sitting around. But the inputs and outputs of this device are perfect. I'm all over the web looking for an alternative.

Yeah. I wouldn't spend $2000 for a device just to hook up my tablet via the headphone out jack, either. It's not going to sound any better than it does right now hooked up directly to your tube amp unless, as ProtegeManiac suggested, your tablet supports USB audio out and you hook up a USB DAC to it.

So I'd recommend learning more about the Audio-GD. That seems your best bet for 2 channel pre-amps. The only other thing I can think of in that price range is the Emotiva UMC-200. That gives you multi-channel capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back