Need port cdp for Senn HD-560, no ext. amp for now
Oct 21, 2002 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks. I have turned myself in circles doing search on "Best Portable", "HD-560 AND Impedence", etc. and cannot find exactly what I'm looking for with information, so I thought I'd do a new post.

I have 1989 vintage Senn HD-560 Ovation phones in good shape, the desire to listen to cd's with phones (my Heart stationary cdp does not have headphone out), and a $100-$150 budget.

Which portable cdp out there can sort of drive my phones without an external amp? I am looking for a <$150 solution, so an external amp is not the best solution for now. I have read about 10 year old Sony's that cost $300, a recommended Panasonic 570 something over at Headroom, and noticed that different portable cdp's have different capability to drive phones and have different mw output (5mw vs. 15mw, etc.) BTW, this is for home so I do not need a big anti shop buffer.

What do you folks think would best temporarily mate with my HD-560 until I have $$ to get HD-580 and an external amp?

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 7
If it were me, and the use was 100% at home, I'd look at getting a (possibly used) dedicated headphone amp, rather than a secondary source piece such as a PDCP. I don't think any PDCP will drive the phones as well as a dedicated amp. Assuming there is a way to integrate it into your system, which there should be. You've got a great CD player, so I'd try to take advantage of it. If you're running a separate pre- and power amp system, you could use either the secondary outputs on your pre, if it has them, or use a T-adapter from Monster. Or you could connect the amp to a tape output, as long as the headphone amp has a volume control.

Oct 21, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi,
I would suggest Sony D-25S from Siliconsalvage.com. You should be able to buy it for 40 dollars + 6 dollars shipping cost. The headphone amp on this discman should be able drive your HD560 fine. I also need 15 dollars for the ac-adaptor the D-25S.

Good Luck

Oct 21, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks Purk. I am investigating total cost involved. Battery is about $40.00 delivered, cdp is about $50.00 delivered, and I am assuming the electrical converter is about $20.00. so I am up to $110.

Purk, soundwise, how does this unit compare to the Sony 303, 555, etc. that I have been reading about from this same time period?

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 7
DunninLA,
I don't have a personal comment on the sound qualit for the D-25s. I never own or heard the unit. I plan to purchase one myself, but I'm waiting for the price to be lower. My impression was based on the review of Russ. I however, can comment on my unit. D-303, D-555, D-311, and D-515 is probably the best Sony discman ever produced, best being line out and headphone out. D-25s can be metal and a bit harsh sounding, accorging to Russ and others. For example, D-303's has one of the most georgeous line out of any of the discman I've heard. The sound stage is wide, the treble is sparkling, the low is punchy and never distorted, and over all clarity is excellent.

I know that those 4 players are very hard to come by, that's why I recommend you to go for the D-25S. I don't think you'll be disappoint by it. If you can find those 4 discmans in the future, I highly recommend you investing your money for an awesome source for portable rig.

Purk

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Commission a nice amp from one of our resident DIY-ers. You can pick exactly how you want it configured which will have an effect on the overall price. From what I hear, they are all very helpful in determining your needs.

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 7
I just tried the HD-560II plugged into the headphone output of the D-303. It worked just fine, no amp needed. Volume level of about five was getting very loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back