need new usb/optical dac max 1500 second hand
Apr 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone,
I am currently using a dacmagic and looking for a new dac with headphone output to use with my es5 iems (max 1500 dollar second hand). Xlr outputs would be nice so that I can connect it to my preamp (I could of course use a converter cable) and an internal preamp would be good because I am now using a diy active preamp and saving space is always good. I mostly use usb so asynchronous usb would be nice and 24bit is mandatory in this day and age. I also need optical.
So far my list consists of the following:
noforce dac-9 (i would love to try the sabre dac chip but since I am blind the touchscreen is a bit of a concern)
lavry da11
benchmark dac1 pre (dont really need the hdr)
centrance dacmini (very nice price but it has no xlr output, and i wonder if it can compare with the nuforce).
Does anyone know if belcanto dac3.5vb or stello da220mkii have headphone output? I dont think so but i dont want to disregard them until i know for sure.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 10
I've read good things about the Grace M902.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 10
I've read good things about the Grace M902.

Stop recommending gear you've never heard.

----------

Anouk: I think you're pretty much after a DAC/amp combo, of which there are many choices, most below your budget. The only suggestion I'd make would require you, ideally, to go balanced with your headphones for best results, so I'll leave it for now. I'm sure it'll be the performance with your HD-800s that'll be the key.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 10
Apr 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 10
Hi,
Well I have been doing some researching today and there are only a few options: the new nuforce dac-9, lavry da11 benchmark dac1 pre and the new centrance dacmini but that one doesnt have xlr outputs and my preamp (if it turns out its better then the built-in preamp options) has onlyxlr-in.
I also saw the belcanto 3.5vb and stello da220mkii but I dont think these have headphone outputs.
The thing for me is, the nuforce is at the top of my list (it has a sabre dac chip according to a blog post) but it also has a touch screen. I am blind so obviously for me a touch screen is a no-go. It has a remote control though so I will have to contact nuforce to see if all the functionality can also be used with the remote. StillI prefer normal buttons and switches over a remote.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Never seen a Bel Canto DAC with headphone output, by the way.
I keep forgetting that I can audition that Bel Canto DAC locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back