need new in-ear phones/earbuds for S9 ~25$
Dec 6, 2009 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ads295

New Head-Fier
i am on a very tight budget and am looking to replace my current EP-630s with a new set of 'phones. What is the best i can get within this budget? I don't mind buying the EPs again as I am very much satisfied with their performance, i was just wondering if there's anything better around for the price.
NO amp, please. I am not that serious about sound quality.
I want only the in-ear type please. earphones like the Yuin PK3 won't do as a lot of sound leaks. i want ones just like the EP-630 in terms of type.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 20
get the ones from woot.com right now. grab it while the deal is still live. theyre one of the best ones for $18 shipped, hands down.

edit: forgot, its 11 that they refresh the deals everyday.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 20
No problem finding something that sounds great in that price range

Meelectronics Ai-M9 <-personal favorite
Soundmagic PL21
JVC HA-FXC50
Soundmagic PL30

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 20
any Senn come to mind? i liked the CX500 - a new one is going for 25$ on eBay.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ads295 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any Senn come to mind? i liked the CX500 - a new one is going for 25$ on eBay.

A lot of the CX series earphones on ebay are fakes so... good luck with that.

How to spot fake Sennheiser CX500

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 20
oh i'm not buying it right now! thanks for the heads-up though. out of what you suggested, the PL30 is out of my budget ($40) and i was impressed by the Meelectronics and the PL21. the JVC has a wierd shape. which one would you suggest out of all these, then? i need a majority vote on something you know (no offense to anyone) but i've read a few threads on this very site and people are advising so many different models that i went nuts and then opened this thread. Please arrive at one final conclusion. I don't know anything about ear-phones to be honest. I read in a magazine that the EP-630s beat the crap out of buds thrice their price so i bought those. And am very happy. Now the time has come for another decision like that.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 20
Actually PL30s cost about the same as the PL21 depending on where you purchase. Focalprice has them for ~$23. I prefer the M9s out of the four but all have their strengths and weaknesses. Coming from the Ep630 you will probably find the PL30 far too bass-light but the PL21 and Ai-M9s should work nicely. Less bass quantity than the Ep630 but they make up for it in quality.

Edit: this is a forum. Don't expect a majority decision. Take the recommendations, do some reading, make up your own mind.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 20
then there's no hope for getting another pair of phones with the same bass? i'm used to it now...

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #12 of 20
I can't believe I'm writing this because I have serious doubts about SoundMAGIC building quality (my PL30 peeled completely and my PL21 have the left driver broken), but if you are looking for good sound quality at a good price, probably the PL21 and the PL30 are good choices (I actually preferred the sound of the PL21, but that's a matter of taste).

On the other hand, you have JVC. The marshmallows are cheap and sound OK (I don't like the sound signature, but again it's a matter of taste, my wife LOVES them), the Air Cushions are very comfortable, have good sound quality, but the cable is very microphonic and they are a bit bassy (I like it, but you may not).

A new model I've tested is the HA-FXC50. A bit uncomfortable at first until you find your way putting them, the cable has horrible microphonics but it can be worn over the ear (it doesn't fall from MY ears, is fantastic) and the microphony problem disappears. The basses are very strong and deep, probably only for bassheads, but the thing is that I've learnt to love the sound, bassy but very detailed.

I didn't like at first, but after a couple of weeks I actually think they are the best IEMs I've ever had, which is not a great thing because I haven't had that many and all of them have been very cheap!

All models fit, more or less, in your budget, so it's a matter of taste, availability and preferences.

Good luck with your quest
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 20
Looks like the AI-M6 is also on sale at Newegg right now, for $25, shipped. I've never heard it, just thought I'd mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back