Need new cans, my D2000 broke
Nov 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MakubexGB

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I dropped my D2000 and one of the cups broke off. The screw and plastic that holds the cup to the adjustable piece that goes into the band broke. I'm looking to see if I can get a hold of the pieces necessary to fix it, but it looks like it might not be so easy. I'll probably need to replace them.

Could you guys recommend me good pair of headphones comparable to the D2000 not just in sound quality but also in comfort. The D2000 are the comfiest headphones I've worn.

These are some of the characteristics I'm looking for:

1. Comfortable to wear all day.
2. Ample soundstage
3. Close or at least semi-close (I have a fan by my side, so I don't want wind noise getting in).
4. Good gaming and movie audio quality.

My budget is about $300 and I do own an amp (Firestone Cute Beyond).

Thanks in advanced! :)

PS. I emailed Lawton to see if he has the pieces I need. Just waiting for response.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 15
You might want to try the Audio Technica ATH A900X, similar size, lower weight and sound excellent. I just wish they weren't so expensive in the UK or I'd have a pair to go next to my A700X. They clamp kinda tight though.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
I'll check them the A900 out. I did have the old A500 years ago and really liked them for the price. Thanks for the advice.
Quick question, how's the bass on these?

Not as deep extensionwise as the D2Ks, but there isn't much that matches the D2K in terms of sub bass. These are more like SRH840s with a dollop of extra controlled bass. I'm not entirely sure they would satisfy as hardcore basshead, but I thought it was more than adequate for most. Vocals however are outstanding.

EDIT: I hate you. I pulled the trigger on a pair of A900Xs for myself. :)

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 15
It's more the deep rumble you get with subs and the denons that the A900X lacks, it does have enough bass for the thump in movies and games, but it won't rattle your skull like the D2K can.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Update: I bought a DIY hinge repair kit from Lawton Audio. Hopefully it has all I need to repair and I can keep my beloved D2000.
biggrin.gif

YAY! :) You should do the MarkL mod while you're at it.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 15
How do the ad900x cans compare to something like the Beyerdynamic dt770?  I also like bass, but it doesn't need to rattle my head.  I'm going between these two and can't decide which one.  Any thoughts between these two?

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 15
YAY! :) You should do the MarkL mod while you're at it.

I'll think about it. I just got new pads (also from Lawton Audio) in July. I don't want to mess them up trying to get them off, as it can quite a pain to do so and mess the pads up a bit with all the twisting. But just in case, do you happen to have the template pdf? The old link is down.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 15
I guess my biggest question would be would the a900x have more bass than my current headphones the Sennheiser HD280 pros?

Question 2:  Any difference between the DT770 and the DT880?

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 15
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.  I originally wanted the d2000's, but since becoming discontinued they are much harder to find and much more expensive.  So I'm also trying to find a repalcement for d2000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back