Need more METAL!
Jul 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 106
Well, good is bit relevant thing and a matter of taste, but you just made my job easier...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I will post couple of more later.

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, good is bit relevant thing and a matter of taste, but you just made my job easier...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I will post couple of more later.

Exactly, but you can give me names, I can listen to those bands and decide which ones I like most. That is why I am searching for people's recommendations.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #18 of 106
Some good power/heavy:
Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding
Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Rage - End of All Days
Skyclad - No Daylights Nor Heeltaps

With growling:
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - Have a Nice Trip
Equilibrium - Sagas

Thrashy:
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Strapping Young Lad - Alien

Mandatory Gothenburg sound:
In Flames - Clayman
Dark Tranquility - Damage Done

Most bigger prog metal bands are fairly technical and have good guitar work. Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Spiral Architect, Deadsoul Tribe, Opeth etc

There is a ton of good stuff.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #19 of 106
Thnks uriz3n. From Dark Tranquility I prefer The Gallery. Even if the songs seem more repetitive they really bring down some excellent guitar riffs. And from Equilibrium I prefer their first album. Ice earth are great, arch enemy some of the albums and similar to in flames.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #20 of 106
I'll add two more I didn't see mentioned yet:

The Sword -- Gods of the Earth or Age of Winters (both are excellent power metal albums, I love these guys)

Grand Magus -- Iron Will (The singer has a really nice voice, no growling here)

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, but you can give me names, I can listen to those bands and decide which ones I like most. That is why I am searching for people's recommendations.

Okay. Added some comments too this time.

various Black Metal

Lunar Aurora - Andacht
Massemord - Skogen Kaller
Negura Bunget - OM (quite spiritual stuff)
Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia
Ondskapt - Dödens Evangelium (good old satanic blackmetal...)
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina (satyricons best album IMO)
Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations (more satan this satan that stuff. Wierdest vocals ever even for blackmetal)
Koldbrann - Nekrotisk Inkvisition

Ambient style blackmetal and doom metal and crossovers. My fav genres overall.

Coldworld - Melancholie2 (officially number 2 is labeled in upper index. Ambient blackmetal)
ANTI - The Insignificance Of Life (ambient blackmetal)
Nortt - Graven (black/doom metal crossover)
Nortt - Ligfaerd
Shape Of Despair - Shades Of... (funeral doom)
Darkspace - Darkspace III (ambient blackmetal with space as theme.
tongue.gif
Lyrics are irrelevant and inaudible on purpose, concentrate on the layered wall of sound instead)
Nocternity - A Fallen Unicorn (EP)
Forgotten Tomb - Songs To Leave (black/doom crossover)
Elysian Blaze - Cold Walls And Apparitions (eerie sounding production, like a distant echo from a cave)
Catacombs - In The Depths Of R'lyeh (H.P. Lovecraft inspired funeral doom. BASS!)

I guess that is enough for that. I consider all above good, will wait in great interest what are your opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif

More various Death Metal:

Beneath The Massacre - Mechanics Of Dysfunction (brainless techical highspeed wankery, but still fun)
Obituary - Slowly We Rot (deathmetal classic)
Obituary - Cause Of Death (ditto)
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Crackdust - Dented Reality (deathmetal from Botswana! Yes, all band members are black. black metal?
biggrin.gif
)
Demonoid - Riders Of The Apocalypse
Gorelord - Zombie Suicide Part 666 (deathmetal/goregrind inspired by B-horror splatter films)
Hate Eternal - I, Monarch
Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
Sear - Lamentations Of Destruction

I think this should keep you busy... for a while...

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 106
Puff, that will take some months for me to find, listen and make my own impressions.

However so far I have to say I have listened to Mercenary - 11 Dreams album with my HF-2 and is a great album. I also like Hypocrisy - Abducted and Gorod - Leading Vision is nice too.. The rest mentioned here will come over time. The albums I have listed above will also get through more listening time with different headphones and I hope one day I can tell you which ones of all of these I liked most.

This night I will get back to this thread and search fro more artists.

Note: Have listened to Beneath The Massacre and Orbituary, the rest not yet
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: The Black Dahlia Murder I have also heard before (Unhallowed and Miasma). Another one I like is Cipher System.

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 106
A few favorites:

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (Melodic-death)
Strapping Young Lad - City or self-titled (mix of basically all extreme metal genres)
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius (death/thrash/progressive)
The Ocean - Precambrian (progressive post-metal)
Burst - Lazarus Bird (progressive post-metal)
Between the Buried and Me - Colors (progressive mathcore)

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #25 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few favorites:

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (Melodic-death)
Strapping Young Lad - City or self-titled (mix of basically all extreme metal genres)
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius (death/thrash/progressive)
The Ocean - Precambrian (progressive post-metal)
Burst - Lazarus Bird (progressive post-metal)
Between the Buried and Me - Colors (progressive mathcore)

The ones underlined I have already heard. Not bad but not my cup of tea. At the gates the one I prefer from those, the ocean not bad, gojira just a Meh rating.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #27 of 106
There are so many recommendations here already, I'll just throw out my top rated albums:
  1. Edge of Sanity - Crimson (1996) [Melodic Death Metal, Progressive Death Metal] - best. metal. album. evar.
  2. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley (1994) & Blues for the Red Sun (1992) [Stoner Metal] - too groovy for words.
  3. Grayceon - Grayceon (2007) [Post-Rock, Progressive Metal] - cellos!
  4. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (2006) [Folk Metal] - "folk" and "metal"?? c'mon this HAS to be good.
  5. Panzerballett - Starke Stücke (2008) [Jazz, Metal] - "jazz" and "metal"?? c'mon this HAS to be better than folk metal!
  6. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988) [Heavy Metal, NWOBHM] - my favorite IM album. also their most progressive.
  7. Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001) [Progressive Death Metal] - opeth. nuff said.
  8. Equilibrium - Sagas (2008) [Folk Metal, Viking Metal] - epic.
  9. Insomnium - Above the Weeping World (2006) [Melodic Death Metal]
  10. Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today (2007) [Doom Metal, Stoner Metal]
  11. Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes (1994) [Melodic Death Metal]
  12. Spiritual Beggars - Ad Astra (2000) [Stoner Metal]
  13. Om - Conference of the Birds (2006) [Stoner Metal]
  14. Boris - Akuma no Uta (2003) [Stoner Metal, Sludge Metal]

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #28 of 106
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Dissection, but The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane are awesome melodic BM.

For thrash, my favourite has been Sadus, particularly Swallowed in Black and Chemical Exposure/Illusions.

For death/prog death, I like Death's The Sound of Perseverance and Individual Thought Patterns.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #29 of 106
I'll throw a few recommendations. Albums that I consider to be really good.

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked (was recommended earlier in thread, absolutely sick album)
Amoral - Decrowning (Excellent technical death metal)
Melechesh - Emissaries (Death/trash metal from band originally from Israel. Some of the best arabic-scale riffs ever created)
Anorexia Nervosa - New Obscurantis Order (french symphonic and exceptionally good black metal)

All these albums are one of the best in their own genre and should last a long time in your active listening. They all also have quite a groove going on, making them catchy instead of tiring.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #30 of 106
Thanks for the recommendations Nacher, haven't heard from those groups.

To everyone who has posted here, what headphones do you use to listen to these metal bands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back