Need more jazz - recommendations please :-)
Apr 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #31 of 41
I don't mean to seem crass, but two pages is a bit much to go without at least one mention of...

May 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #32 of 41
Dear all,

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have purchased the following:

Somethin' Else
Birth Of The Cool
Time Further Out
Giant Steps

All really good, although I've only listened to them once each so far - Cannonball Adderley playing as I type!

I also have 'Straight, No Chaser' by Thelonius Monk. What would be a good follow up?

I also have 'Mingus Ah Um' by Charles Mingus. What's a good follow up to that?

Lastly, what would be a good follow up to Adderley's 'Somethin' Else'?

Thanks,

Dave.

May 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #33 of 41

Quote:
I don't mean to seem crass, but two pages is a bit much to go without at least one mention of...

I've got 'Blues In Orbit' already, and I may want to get some more in the future, but not just yet. There's a couple of other routes I want to investigate as well, so I'll be back asking about those at a later date...

May 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #34 of 41
Since some have already said few I was thinking of (Mingus and Armstrong), definitely check out some of Duke Ellington's music.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #35 of 41

I also have 'Straight, No Chaser' by Thelonius Monk. What would be a good follow up?
Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane.  A tremendous release.
Komeda's Astigmatic is a little harder to get into but is a great bridge between post-bop and avant garde.

Mingus, Dolphy and Powell Live at Antibes 
Mercy Mercy
And as that album borders on soul-jazz, try out Jimmy Smith's The Sermon

And for kicks, try out Moondog if you're looking for a blind hobo viking who makes his own instruments and mixes native american rhythms with classical and jazz elements.

May 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #36 of 41
Monk: "Brilliant Corners" or "Thelonius Alone in San Fransico" - or combine Monk & Coltrane and pickup "Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane" - it's a live recording from Carnegie Hall.

Also...not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if not - pickup "Sidewinder" by Lee Morgan.

Enjoy!

Quote:

May 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:
Dear all,

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have purchased the following:

Somethin' Else
Birth Of The Cool
Time Further Out
Giant Steps

All really good, although I've only listened to them once each so far - Cannonball Adderley playing as I type!

Thanks,

Dave.

Quote:
Monk: "Brilliant Corners" or "Thelonius Alone in San Fransico" - or combine Monk & Coltrane and pickup "Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane" - it's a live recording from Carnegie Hall.

Also...not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if not - pickup "Sidewinder" by Lee Morgan.

Enjoy!

…sounds like both Monk/Coltrane discs are the direction to take…luv those records to death. As for sump'n to follow Somethin' Else, mrpink44's Lee Morgan rec made me think of some other trumpet-centric greatness: Clifford Brown and Max Roach or Clifford Brown and Max Roach's …at Basin Street…can't go wrong either way…

As for following Mingus Ah Um, well, I like Mingus Mingus Mingus… for its similar fire and the updated versions of "Haitian Fight Song" (renamed "II B.S."), "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" (renamed "Theme for Lester Young") and "Better Get Hit In Yo' Soul". Others will probably say The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which is a bit more compositionally audacious…no one's wrong, both are excellent…

May 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

As for following Mingus Ah Um, well, I like Mingus Mingus Mingus… for its similar fire and the updated versions of "Haitian Fight Song" (renamed "II B.S."), "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" (renamed "Theme for Lester Young") and "Better Get Hit In Yo' Soul". Others will probably say The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which is a bit more compositionally audacious…no one's wrong, both are excellent…

I was actually going to suggest The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady but that material is a little more complex to digest if you haven't started with Mingus Ah Um, which I believe is typically most folks' introduction to Charles Mingus. His style is quite improvisational and if you don't get what he's trying to do in the latter suggested album, it will take you a few listens and attempts. Eventually, madness (I feel he's a mad scientist in his craft!) sets in and you start to understand how to grok what he's trying to do. 

May 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #40 of 41
Oh yea I'm suprised I forgot to mention these guys

Accoustic Alchemy,

Lovely Guitar orientated jazz! Some of my favorite music ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back