Need more bass for ATH-M50? fiio e11?
Oct 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TOOMUCHMONEY

New Head-Fier
Ok. So once i got my audiotechnica ATH m50's i was beyond dissapointed by the amount of bass they have. I expected alot more from them. I know they are monitor headphones but come on! The bass is VERY clear and not muddy at all even at high volumes. But it's just not enough for my headthumping bass. I need a portable amplifier that will solve my problem. Please do not suggest the Digizoid Zo2 because it is a piece of crap. Anything better than fiio e11? Thanks to anybody that helps me out!
beyersmile.png

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 13
I always chuckle when people says the M50 has a lot of bass.

I say sell it and go buy a basshead can. That's what I did with my M50.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 13
Comments like this boggle me. When I had my M50's two years ago the bass was incredibly satisfying. Deep and punchy. I haven't heard the new revision but it must have really toned down the bass.

Anyway, if you find the bass too weak as is, an amp probably won't make a huge difference. Maybe try a bass-boost EQ?

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 13
If you are not hearing the bass from the M50 then the track does not have good bass there.  The M50 is an excellent mid-fi headphone that is quite capable of good, clear, and punchy bass.  If you want a headphone to greatly exaggerate the bass in all of your music then try the Sony XB-500.

I own the M50 and think it has plenty of bass when the track is producing said bass.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Ok. So once i got my audiotechnica ATH m50's i was beyond dissapointed by the amount of bass they have. I expected alot more from them. I know they are monitor headphones but come on! The bass is VERY clear and not muddy at all even at high volumes. But it's just not enough for my headthumping bass. I need a portable amplifier that will solve my problem. Please do not suggest the Digizoid Zo2 because it is a piece of crap. Anything better than fiio e11? Thanks to anybody that helps me out!
beyersmile.png

Heya,

The Fiio E6 at $20 will do what you're looking for. Set EQ level to 2. +3 db of bass.

Very best,

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 13
M50s do have a lot of bass, it's not a very impactful bass but there's a lot of it, and it's deep.  An amp or EQ won't solve the impact problem if that's what you want more of, you need a different headphone for that.  If you just want more bass, just EQ it.

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Alright. fair enough. But wait......if you are so "confident" of the m50's then please do me a favor by listening to this song on youtube. DJ White Shadow - If You Like It (KDrew Remix)

Even when I use the bass boost eq there is no detail in the such LOW and DEEP bass that this song has. It is simply too bassy for these headphones!

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 13
When I got my M50 everyone said the same thing, buy an amp, boost the bass, etc, etc.
So I bought the FiiO E11 and yeah it gave it a bit more bass, but not enough to satisfy the basshead in me. Bass was still lacking on Rap and other bassy music that I normally listen to.
I later found out audiophile has a "different" view on bass quality/quantity.

You're not the first to ask why the M50 lack bass and you won't be the last.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Time to upgrade headphones Op, you need a different kind of bass. (quality + quantity)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back