need life advice: want to drop out of college
Nov 28, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #31 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by martythestickman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u have 2 options and only 2 options.

1. succumb to societal pressure, complete ur studies, stray from the path u love, and undoubtedly secure an uninspiring, mediocre life for urself, working for the man, living in debt and never having time for anything other than that

or,

2. BE OBLIGED TO YOURSELF, AND ONLY YOURSELF. follow YOUR dreams, ride YOUR ambition and passion and take the challenge that SERVES YOU and that YOU know in YOUR heart makes YOU feel complete.

the saddest thing in life is regret... GOOD LUCK!
wink.gif

Having followed my DREAM through my first tenure at college and graduated with my dream degree, a few realities have come to light. Telling someone to blindly follow their DREAM job is a little irresponsible. Likewise, telling someone to just get a degree that pays well no matter if you like it or not is also irresponsible. I wish someone had instead told me, "Do what you enjoy as long as it pays enough for you to live comfortably". There is definitely a middle ground. And by the way, "pays enough" changes as you get older. When you start thinking of having a family and buying a house, you're idea of "pays enough" will change significantly. I found out the hard way that my chosen DREAM career would not allow me to have a family and live comfortably at the same time. I'm now in school for another degree. This time, it's one that will interest me as well as "pay enough".

Please, I encourage you to DEEPLY consider the pros and cons of quitting school. Getting your dream job is a 'youthful' ambition, but you must carefully weigh all the realities that come with it.

I wish i had time to write more, but i'm off to school.

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #32 of 71
My two cents
Find a decent enough job, and then dropout. It dosnt have to be any great paying job, just something to give you some money, while you wait and find what you really want.

5 or 10 grand in the bank after 6 or so months, is sometimes worth more then 6 or so months of schooling. You can always cashout that money, but you can't ask for a refund, for the money you spent on something, you know you will never use, or want to

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #33 of 71
stick it out, you might hate school, but like others have said, it opens doors for you, doors that can't really be opened any other way unless you work your butt off far harder then you would in school to show someone what your capable of.

and on plus side, even if you have to work a job you don't like, the type of jobs that will be open to you will pay better, which may help you avoid having to work 50-60 hours a week just to get by, and give you more free time to purse your dream on the side, even if its just those tough times that your really struggling to get by on your art alone

and think about the art related jobs that open up to you with a degree that you wouldn't be without it, what about teaching art at a college, which is probably a perfect job for someone like you who wants to dedicate their life to something, unless you really don't want to teach, but then again, you'd be teaching something your truely passionate about

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #34 of 71
The first few years of college is usually boring requirements. Get through those, and you will spend more time on art. Don't drop out. You have alot of years left to live, it isnt too difficult to sacrifice the next few for what ALMOST CERTAINLY will be better for you in the long run. You can always get a job and move to part time college, but keep up with it.

More to the point, knowledge is good. If you are bored by your current class, thats shows a tremendous lack of maturity on your part, and shows that you might not be ready to make major life decisions. That sounds alot harsher then it sounds. You have been provided with a phenomenal opportunity, and opportunity billions of people would kill for. Instead of looking for reasons why you dont like your classes, do your best to find something interesting in everyone. You might surprise yourself.

And I say this not as a curmudgeonly old man, but a 25 year old. I can not overstate how important college is, and how important exanding your horizons and learning to deal with things you dont love is.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #35 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you don't.

That's pretty much what I wanted to say. Although I'm only 22, I think I can detect something in your voice that I usually hear out of 16 year olds... that "I know it all attitude".

Think bout the future. You may think you know what you want to do, but that doesn't mean you will succeed at it.

Having a fall-back plan cannot and will not hurt you if your art plans happen to fall through.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #36 of 71
You need to compromise IMHO.

You absolutely need to finish School, like it or not. Put all of your energy into your studies, and get the highest GPA you are capable of, ESPECIALLY if all of your educational expenses are being covered by Mom and Dad. If you have any interest at all in the Computing field, I would suggest some sort of Computer related minor. If you don't have any interest in Computers, be sure to minor in something else you think you may enjoy (other than Art). As stupid as it may sound now, trust me when I say that it is a very good thing to have that stupid little piece of paper that says you had what it took to finish 4 years of college. Bonus points if you graduated in the top 10% of your class. Take it from a guy who knows.

After you finish college, continue your education in an artsy fartsy School of YOUR choice. I am all about pursuing a career in something you love to do. I am assuming you are young, so you have plenty of time on your side. When you finish your Art studies on your terms, by all means go out into the world, and try to get a job as an Artist, do what you love to do!

After that point, if your story turns out like mine, then you always have that 4 year college degree with a minor in some (hopefully) in-demand career.

Oh yeah, in case you are wondering, here is my story:

I was in almost the same situation as you, but swap 'Art' with 'Music'. Decided to put all my energy into Music. After 4 years, I realized that being a Musician was never, ever going to pay the bills, and I absolutely hated the lifestyle that came along with being a Musician. So back to School I went to study in another field that I was interested in, Computers. I now have a job in the Computing field which I enjoy, and I work for the government, and get paid quite handsomely. But what about the Music? It will always be my first love, and I still enjoy, play and write music on a regular basis, and I suspect I always will. It just took me a while to figure out that I wasn't going to make the living I desired from being a Musician.

That is not to say that the same will happen to you, you may go on to become the most famous artist in the world for all I know. What I am saying is that it is always a good idea to have a "Plan B" in the event that your dreams don't quite work out the way you orginally hoped they would.

Good luck, and "give em' hell".

P.S. Don't screw up really bad by going and doing something stupid like knocking up your girlfriend. One little mistake like that could throw a monkey wrench into the mix and really mess up your dreams.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #38 of 71
Don't be so eager to go work now. There's plenty of time to work. You'll be working a good 25-30 years after you graduate. I say you stick through with school not because your parents are making you do it, but simply explore other areas that might interest you. If you don't like the core courses you're taking, study enough to pass and get on with your life. Hope you stick through it!

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 71
Sounds like you need to change your major or school... ditto on seeing a counselor.

My brother went through 4 1/2 years of hell at University of Waterloo's prestigious computer science program - he makes more than 2 1/2 times my salary now at his programming job.

Eventually, he'll leave his computer job and work on art, his true love. Going through the boot camp of university and working a "real job" has taught him valuable lessons that will serve him in whatever field he chooses to pursue in the future.

Yes, he feels a bit of resentment about not studying art in university, but the money and experience of working in a successful corporation outweigh the disadvantages.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #40 of 71
it seems the grass is greener on the other side, but then vise versa. yes it is a horrid cliche, but take it from a guy who was in your position a little while ago and followed thorough and sort of dropped out..Yea it was nice to be out of university for about a month, until I realized I became just another subway rider, another person stuck under the fine line that separates those who can and those who cannot, and promotions wont fix that. Its the mental state that you are put in, that you realized that your parents worked so hard for you NOT to struggle in life and fall in with the masses.

At LEAST live up to them, if not surpass them. It is very heartbreaking for me to think about it when I wake every morning, and even though I chose my field of study randomly (truly randomly), I still think nothing in the world is worse than to leave school.

Trust me.. the moment you step out the grass rots and you look back, just one step behind you the off green lawn didn't seem so bad after all.. but for some, like me who dropped out the "dramatic way" getting back in won't just be one little step backwards...

Your like your cans.. and college is the amp.. no matter how ridiculous it seems at first once you get through with it you would never have believed how you can get by without it in the first place.

best of luck
-george

ps-try applying to risd lots of my friends go there and love it

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #41 of 71
I may be in a unique position to give advice. I have two very good friends who are both artists. One is successful, very successful, the other is not, but should be.

Friend A = traditional drawing, comics, 2d animation
Friend B = traditional drawing, comics, 3d animation

Friend A: was an animator on a popular but horribly animated (on purpose I might add) Canadian show called Kevin Spencer. This guy can pull off an identical replica of a Todd McFarlane Spidey or a Jim Lee Wolverine. He just looks once, then draws. Absolute insanity. He took animation in school figuring it would be his best bet to use his skills and make some money. He found a job doing work for Kevin Spencer, 1500/week clear. Great money for a guy in his late 20's. Then the show was cancelled, he could not find any work at all, no where. Disney had closed up their 2D shoppe, others were following, few major studios were remaining in this genre and the well was drying up super fast. He didn't just stick with 2D, he tried his luck at numerous jobs in the art world including submitting works to various galleries around Canada. He sold some prints and some originals but basically made enough just to pay off the loans he had taken from friends and family. In the end, he knew that he needed something more concrete if he was to contribute to his marriage and child. He went back to school, became a special ed teacher and now does the art thing at night and on weekends. In Canada, teachers work about 9 months of the year, so that leaves a good chunk of free time to do the art thing. Best though? He has a paycheck every 2 weeks, benefits etc. He is unionized and he is set for life. If the art thing never works out, he knows he is safe. He gave it his best shot, teachers and people in the art world say he is a phenomenon, but he is a middle school teacher working in a small city now. Remeber, some of the most famous artists of all time were only famous after they died. They were poppers their entire life, sometimes starving for their art.

Friend B: Another gifted artist, can do the "mimic an artist" routine but it takes more time. He too went to "art school" this time taking his skills and going into 3d animation. This stuff is hot right now and he is pulling down 6 figures and it doesn't look like that is going to stop any time soon. He desperately wants to work for Marvel or DC but they keep turning him down, even though he works for a top 3d studio and has done work for Pixar. It is not like this guy is just a nobody, nor that his art isn't top notch, but people in the biz don't necessarily WANT top notch all the time. At least not in the comic world. Friend B lives out his life then, dreaming about doing a different type of art, but at least making big bucks in an artistic field, albeit heavily helped out by comps.

The jist is that both are extremely talented, both even had their foot in the door and made it work for a time, but 1 of the 2, the better one, was not in the "hot art" of the moment and could not jeapordize his future to an extent that would start jeapordizing his family.

Realizing you are young, unmarried, no kids (assumptions but seems reasonable) these won't affect you now, but what if you make a go of it, and it doesn't pan out. You find that special someone you get married, have some kids and still try to make it work. But it doesn't. A kid is sicker than hoped, and medical bills are climbing. Your job doesn't have the benefits to cover it, and you sure don't make enough to pay the difference. Your wife does what she can, but she is juggling the more secure and higher paying job with being with your child. You need to find something better. You won't need to give up art for life, but right now, your family needs you. So you go look for something better, but the bottom line is...they want to see some letters. It doesn't matter which ones, but they want to note a degree somewhere on the resume of yours. They don't see it, and you don't get the job.

For 2-2.5 years of your life (and really, you don't go to school during the summer, so we are talking what? 20 months total left? Maybe less? You have that piece of paper. Once you graduate you can do whatever you want. No one is saying you have to get that job, or find a job or anything of the sort. But getting security now is worth more than investing 2 extra years into something you might be able to invest your entire life in. If art is your passion, and you have a successful future in it, it will happen, even after the 2 years. Someone might mention you could miss your big break, but then someone else could respond you will never get a big break. Chance plays a huge role in the art world and VERY few make it big ever.

Knowing these two friends, knowing how they lived before they decided to go to college and focus their skills enough to find a job in their field and meeting their friends who were artists, and now seeing of the two out of the field because he just can't get the work...it makes me see it from a different light than "just go for it."

I was able to play a good many jazz clubs during my earlier years of university. It paid a good many bills. I would love to be a professional saxophonist but the reality is...few can make it work, most are doing this on the weekends or as a second job, not as a primary. It was a reality I faced and chose to go another way. This doesn't mean I would not have made it, nor that I still can't, but I know at the end of the day, if I won't or if I can't, I still have something to fall back on so my kids can be fed.

Follow your heart and dreams no doubt, just be smart about it. Invest now in the means that will permit you the flexibility to pursue those dreams. A degree in hand lets you find a job that is usually higher paying with better benefits and better security. This provides you with a better foundation to hoan your art and make headway.

For those that feel a degree locks you into a given field, most of the time this is not so. Take Microsoft. For most positions one can't get hired without a degree. One can hold a BA in African Religious studies and get hired if one demonstrates an aptitude for programming/development/testing. In fact, quite a few folks in teams I am familiar with personally have biology and biochemistry degrees yet they are working in the security division or the SQL Server division.

You have an opportunity many beg for. You are nearly halfway complete, stick it out, heck, just do three years and you are more than one third the way there! In the end, those letters (BA) will be more beneficial to you given the open doors that you will be presented with vs. the closed doors that are slammed in your face without them.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #43 of 71
I assume classes are free for you given your father's position with the university? If so, you'd be crazy not to go to school for free. Some people pay 6 figures and amass a ton of debt for the opportunity.

I read the first page but not the whole thread, so sorry if this was already brought up.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #44 of 71
As one without a college degree, I'm inclined to say that you should gut it out and get the sheepskin. I went to a trade-type school for computer technology, and got a decent job with a large computer company. I'm now working for a different company, earning a decent wage, but when I changed companies, I had to start at the bottom (literally), and work my way up. I now have an interesting, challenging job, but if I had to start looking for a job tomorrow, I'd probably have a pretty tough time of it.

HR departments look at the resume, and if a four-year degree isn't on yours, you may not even get an interview. Heck, my own company wasn't going to let me interview for an Engineering tech position because I didn't have a degree! 15 years later, I'm still in Engineering, but I'm probably as far as I'm ever going to get. I'd be much better positioned today if I had gotten a degree.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #45 of 71
Even if you never use what you learned for your degree, simply the process of gutting it out and getting a four-year degree is a character builder that is beneficial for anyone to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back