need life advice: want to drop out of college
Nov 29, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what little I've seen of the world, people look harshly on quitters.

this is under the assumption that post secondary education is the best course for him no matter what.... I don't recall the last time I looked harshly at someone who quit a dead end job to pursue something they loved.

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #62 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As one without a college degree, I'm inclined to say that you should gut it out and get the sheepskin. I went to a trade-type school for computer technology, and got a decent job with a large computer company. I'm now working for a different company, earning a decent wage, but when I changed companies, I had to start at the bottom (literally), and work my way up. I now have an interesting, challenging job, but if I had to start looking for a job tomorrow, I'd probably have a pretty tough time of it.

HR departments look at the resume, and if a four-year degree isn't on yours, you may not even get an interview. Heck, my own company wasn't going to let me interview for an Engineering tech position because I didn't have a degree! 15 years later, I'm still in Engineering, but I'm probably as far as I'm ever going to get. I'd be much better positioned today if I had gotten a degree.

x2.... I know for a fact my engineering team at my company won't interview you without a degree.

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #64 of 71
I have not gone to college yet (im still in high school), so I don't know what the pressure and stuff feels like. However, I highly recommend you to stick it out. If there is one thing my father has stuck into my head more than anything, it's that you will get nowhere in life without "the ticket", that being a college degree. It's all about having a place at the table; and without that ticket you will be begging for scraps. That's the grim truth about it. If you truly hate the college your at, why not just go to an art school? Your family sounds like they make good money and they could probably afford to send you to some place nice in New York or something. I don't know diddly squat about being an artist, except that you need to be ready for letdowns (although this is usually something in all professions, just more prominent in artsy types of roles, ie acting, writing, etc....)

And I don't understand this dilemma with your family's image. IMO, it sounds like you're trying to rebel against your parents which is quite immature (just going on what you wrote, never met you so my judgement is reserved specifically to the posted text) and I think you will live to regret it by not heeding the older and usually wiser one's words.

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is under the assumption that post secondary education is the best course for him no matter what.... I don't recall the last time I looked harshly at someone who quit a dead end job to pursue something they loved.

I meant in general. When you quit a dead-end job, its when you realise you've hit a dead end, and this usually once you're established in life. 20 years is hardly established. You can't say "I took that avenue to its greatest advancement, there was nothing more for me there", when your degree is half finished.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #66 of 71
thanks so much for all your comments... it has helped me a lot. The comments like I'm lashing out / rebelling, that the grass is greener, that an artist's talents come through no matter what they do. I find it all to be so true.

I was in such a ridiculous state the past 3 days, yesterday I was on the highway to Canada to stay with family members they said labor pays a ton of $$ up there because it's so cold and unpopulated in their town. I was desperate, but I turned back... slept 20 hours last night.

Now Im going to put the pieces together, redeem myself and try and finish the last 2 weeks of semester. SKipped a ton of classes I'lll just say I had the flu. I"m a sheltered suburban kid. I belong in the white collar world. The only reasonable option is to stick it out.

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #67 of 71
You can easily exist in the "white collar world" without a college degree.

IMO you should trust your instinct and your conscience. Have faith in yourself that you are making the right decision and just do it. If you believe and have enough willpower, you can make anything you want happen. I think you should definitely focus on the artistic side of your soul and follow your dreams. If staying in college and completing the ciriculum will help you get there quicker, then consider staying. If you're insightful and resourceful, then perhaps you should consider leaving that institution and pursue studies in an area that would actual feel beneficial.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have spent/wasted my time(on the five year plan) getting a BBA. The "knowledge" I attained was really quite common sense and I could have taught myself anything and everything I learned from the university for far less money than they charged me. The one thing I did learn from college is that I'm entrepreneurial by nature and that a "white collar" job sitting in an office somewhere, working and making money for the higher-up's, is not my idea of success and "the future".

Hindsight has taught me that the whole "meal ticket" image behind a degree is for those that depend on others for a job outside of school, and not necessarily needed for those that have "ideas" and the drive to create a small business for themselves. College does not teach you real world experience.

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #68 of 71
Talking in absolutes is ridiculous. As soon as someone immediately claiming something does or does not do something take it with a huge grain of salt. F1GTR I'm not trying to pick on you specifically but your experience is not an absolute experience it is a single sample from a population of millions and millions.

I've been in school for 26 years. Of those 26 years, 13 have been university. I'm 30 now and I've spent half of my life in this environment. I also work full-time and have a family so I have that "real-world" experience too. One of my jobs is in an academic setting the other is in another area, but I can thankfully say that many many experiences throughout my college years have taught me how to deal with pressure, deadlines, people, expectations, rising to the challenge, dealing with failures, dealing with hiccups, how to get by, how to get ahead etc. The people I have met alone (profs, students, other peers) have made a real-world difference, and of course I have not even touched on the information I gained from those courses which are applied to my fields. The point? My experience is different than yours and Andrew should really consider all angles.

10 of the top 20 richest people in the US (mostly tech sector billionaires) all dropped out of school. Does this mean that anyone who drops out can expect to be a billionaire? Most welfare recipients in the US are highschool dropouts, does that mean if one drops out of highschool they will automatically be on welfare?

These are extremes but there is no doubt that the numbers don't lie overall, those with a degree fair better on average than those without. Given that the OP wants to try his luck in the art world, one has to caution perhaps more strongly vs. someone who wants to start a tech business or another type of business. Businesses make money, artists have a hard time doing that
smily_headphones1.gif
A degree could provide the leverage to continue with art while not stressing about buying food, paying electricity, rent/mortgage, car payments etc. It is a safer bet than depending on getting those extra hours at Star Bucks.

But, if someone is going to get ulcers from exams...panic attacks from assignments, it is time to see the counselors and work out an arrangment. I had a friend who never once took an exam with the class, be it a 1000 person pack gymnasium or a 20 person classroom. He couldn't stand the people , the pressure of numbers, and they didn't make him go through it.

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #69 of 71
I would never presume to tell someone what to do. In the end life decisions like this are up to the individual and many factors come into play. In the end you must do what you think is right and live with the consequences. There are also very few decisions like this that are irreversible.

One piece of advice that I always gave my kids about school or work experience was that you want to have as many options available to you as possible. Finishing high school opens up many options, college opens others as does a trade school or the military. I told them that the worse thing that can happen is that yo find yourself in a job that you do not like and have no where to turn.

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #71 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks so much for all your comments... it has helped me a lot. The comments like I'm lashing out / rebelling, that the grass is greener, that an artist's talents come through no matter what they do. I find it all to be so true.

I was in such a ridiculous state the past 3 days, yesterday I was on the highway to Canada to stay with family members they said labor pays a ton of $$ up there because it's so cold and unpopulated in their town. I was desperate, but I turned back... slept 20 hours last night.

Now Im going to put the pieces together, redeem myself and try and finish the last 2 weeks of semester. SKipped a ton of classes I'lll just say I had the flu. I"m a sheltered suburban kid. I belong in the white collar world. The only reasonable option is to stick it out.

Nice job Andrew. It is a decision that you will look back on in 20 years and say "wow, I am glad I did this".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back