Need IEMs to act as ear plugs
Mar 26, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I need an IEM to act as ear plugs, since I ride the subway so often, and I want to protect my ears. I figured wearing earplugs might look too weird, so IEMs would be a great solution. I will not be listening to music through them, since I find that I can only listen to music at home through full sized headphones. Thus, the only thing that matters with this new pair of IEMs is only its noise cancellation. I don't care about the sound quality, brand, etc. Just the sound isolation. I would like them to be less than $20, since I'm not paying for sound quality.

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 14
Who cares what people think. Get some EtyPlugs http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.html

Another plus is you won't have any microphonics because there's no wires.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 14
maybe mee m6   cheap, comfortable and over the ear design so no microphonics which might be a problem with cord down and no music playing.  also I don't get much 'walking' noise with the m6's

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Who cares what people think. Get some EtyPlugs http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.html

Another plus is you won't have any microphonics because there's no wires.

Hmm, thats true. Microphonics might be a huge issue. I mean, what good is isolation if I'm going to hear the wires moving back and forth as well.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 14
ER-20 is the way to go. Usually about $12-14.

Or maybe someone here has a broken old IEM with decent isolation that they will part with.

My solution: Sensahonics 3D Active Ambient. When not listening to music, they are a flat-response, variable-level earplug with over 30 dB of isolation. Only $2,000!

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 14
Get some ER-20s. Most people won't even notice that you're wearing them

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 14
Etymotic ER4 provides the best isolation in IEMs. But they're not the best looking ones around...(I would call them ugly, but that'll draw a lot of hate)

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 14
ER20s are awesome earplugs which actually do their intended job correctly - that is, actually make everything quieter, instead of traditional earplugs which attenuate high frequencies. They rock.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 14
Why not listen to music?

TBH the isolation of IEM's pales in comparison to earplugs which is only really noticeable when nothing is playing.  The only exceptions are well into the $100+ range.  I'd say get some of the re-usable silicon tri-flange earplugs.  You don't necessarily have to get the ety's.  I got some free ones from Ruger for some promotion I forget exactly what.  Just something like that, they're less noticeable than orange foam sticking out of your ears but still have really good isolation.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 14
another vote for the er20. i remember reading most metros worldwide are loud enough to cause hearing damage. when i lived in the city i wore these:
I need an IEM to act as ear plugs, since I ride the subway so often, and I want to protect my ears. I figured wearing earplugs might look too weird, so IEMs would be a great solution. I will not be listening to music through them, since I find that I can only listen to music at home through full sized headphones. Thus, the only thing that matters with this new pair of IEMs is only its noise cancellation. I don't care about the sound quality, brand, etc. Just the sound isolation. I would like them to be less than $20, since I'm not paying for sound quality.

Thanks!

plus, these are great for concerts and loud clubs.... sure u might look like a dork putting them in but bring a pair for your date and the right kind of girl might take it as super sweet that you're worried about her hearing

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 14
+1 for the ER20's. I use a pair driving our soft top with the roof down on the motorway. They very efficiently cut the road/wind noise by lowering the overall volume. The sound comes though at a lower volume meaning it's safe for the ears and safe for you in a busy city!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back