Need IEMs/canalphones with inline volume control. . .
Jun 19, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

myssy

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm a paralegal by day and I can't live without my music while I'm at work -- it's what keeps me driven. I listen to ambient chill/downtempo type music, which includes a lot of female vocals as well as rich, deep bass tones.

I've been on the hunt for something that will go in my ears (to keep it fairly professional looking) but I've never tolerated "earbuds" in the past. (Back in the late 80's I had a great sounding set of Koss buds but they ached in my ears after only a few minutes -- and I haven't worn any in-ear 'phones since then). Because I'm at an office and I need to pay some attention to what's going on around me, I prefer to have an inline volume control for convenience.

I've been out of the market for a long time and am overwhelmed by the choices out there, so I wanted to bring this before all of you, who have stayed on top of this and would know best!

My price range is pretty wide, but I'd prefer to stay <$120. I'm not currently brand loyal in this department but a product that would create brand loyalty is a huge plus.

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

--Myssy

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 9
The only good IEM in your price range is Altec Lansing iM716, which does have a inline volume pod, though I am not sure you'll like it as it isn't a bass heavy IEM.

There are other good IEM, but none comes with volume control.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi, and thanks for your responses.

Does this mean, then, that either:

1) Inline volume controls are not easy to find generally in these types of headphones; or that

2) Inline volume controls are fairly easy to find on more expensive headphones?

Thanks again for your input!

--Myssy

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 9
I'd probably think that it's the first option. The more doodads you add, the more poor connections you can have, so high-end headphones often skip the extras.

If you really need that inline volume control, you could probably find a volume control by itself, without headphones, in the form of an extension cable. I don't know where to look, but I feel as if there must be some, somewhere.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 9
To my way of thinking somebody who has not tolerated earbuds in the past may have a lot more problems with canalphones or IEMs.

I would suggest getting a pair of inexpensive canalphones, even if they don't have the volume control, to determine if you can now tolerate something IN your ears.

Steve

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 9
I agree with that. If you've had problems with canalphones or IEMs in the past, don't start out with a high end pair. First even try a pair of regular inexpensive earplugs to see how it feels in your ears.

Try an inexpensive pair like the JVC marshmallows. They've been comfortable for me. The in ear fit doesn't bother me. Takes some time to get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back