Need ideas for entry-level jobs
Aug 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #16 of 18
If you're in serious need of work, I'd recommend going to a temp agency, and accepting one of the temp-to-hire type positions.  Do the usual work your butt off,show up everyday/on time, and other people will weed themselves out (you'd be surprised how many people in temp jobs see "showing up to work everyday" as not being a requirement).  I actually ended up working in corporate management for a good length of time, starting out through a temporary agency (in your situation-fresh out of school).

I'd also recommend that you go to your local UPS or particularly Fed-Ex.  People in both temp to hire and these transportation companies seem to have a high turnover rate, and as far as I know all their line managers/shift managers/Sort Managers must have degrees and started as loader/unloaders (FedEx).  These type of companies are always looking for educated hard working people, so put your degree to some good use in those places..

I'd like to suggest not shooting too low in your job search especially if you are listing your degree on a resume or application, because you're likely to be seen as being overqualified for the position.  Employers are looking for someone that's going to stick around for a while, and even if it's not necessarily the case, they are going to think that when the next best job opportunity rolls around you will be out of there.  

I'd also recommend as others have said looking at other jobs that are not in your field.  Start from the bottom and decide within a few months if you want to work there, what opportunities there are to move up, how stable the line of work is etc.  You never know when one of the "higher ups" will leave the company.  There are plenty of opportunities to move up just because you have your degree, and others don't.  A degree says not that you know A,B, and C, but that you have the ability to learn.  That's what I believe companies are looking for.  I have used this to my advantage over the years, and in fields that have nothing to do with what I learned in school.

One thing I think colleges/universities do horribly is preparing new grads to enter the workforce.  It's not like in the past where boom boom boom you get a degree, you have a good paying job for life.  With the economy the way it is, you just kind of have to roll with what's out there and be as flexible as you can.  

As a last thought, if you ever think about going to school down the road I'd highly recommend PTA school.  I believe it's a 2 year degree still, the pay is decent, and hospitals/clinics are always looking for good PTAs.

I haven't been job looking for a while, but I know it's tough out there especially if you're getting started, I wish you the best of luck. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #17 of 18
I've been talking to my parents, and they say that if I wanted to go back to school as a VERY last resort, they'd help financially. 

A) Would this even be a good idea considering I'd still be lacking in field experience?
B) What are some good business-related thing-a-ma-jigs to consider? I don't want to get another bachelor's or head for a master's, so is it all moot?
C) I'm an idiot, am I just plain screwed? 

I'm still applying to pretty much anything, hell I'll work at a book store if it means I can eventually get mgt experience. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 18
Going back to school just because you have no other option probably is a waste of resources, IMHO.  If there's some goal you want to achieve, then by all means consider it.  The catch 22 of not being able to get a job until you get experience and not being able to get experience until you get a job is prevalent in a lot of fields.  My sister experienced it while looking for chemical engineering jobs, my friend experienced it in archaeology, I ran into it in the theatre, etc etc.  Getting more education might open more possibilities, but unless you already have a direction you're just opening options that you might not want to take anyway.

From my experience, getting into something (whether it's retail or mail room or whatever) that can at least interest you a little is a good place to start.  The book store job you mentioned may not lead directly to management, but it may lead to a position as a buyer or something.  I personally went from a retail store and then ended up getting a job in the company as an inventory planner.  When that job went bye-bye, I did some other stuff but eventually ended up where I am now as a planner again, purely because of the previous experience and contacts from that first company.

I don't think you're an idiot...most of us don't know at an early age what we want to do.  And we almost never can predict what we'll  be doing 5 to 10 years down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back