Need help with purchasing new cheap IEMs
May 23, 2011 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

semicolon

New Head-Fier
Hi, As the title states, I'm looking for a cheap (around $60AUD) pair of IEMs. I'm going on school camp soon and am going to be spending a lot of time in a bus, so I want them to be comfortable to wear as well. They need to be strong, and sound relatively flat, although I don't mind if the bass is a bit stronger.

I used to own a pair of Sennheiser CX550 Style IIs, which sounded decent. Something similar to that would be good, but a bit tougher. The left one died within a month of owning them. 

Also, I'd like to stay away from Skull Candys. I really don't like the sound of them at all. Well, the ones in my price range, anyway.

Thanks for your help

May 23, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 23
fischer audio silver bullet no joke best ive ever heard, and ive heard a lot of sub $100 iems

or nuforce ne7

May 23, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 23
Unfortunately, None of the Silver Bullet ones on eBay (my only way of purchasing these IEMs) at the moment, but there is Nuforce NE-7Ms for $53 USD incl. postage. 
Also, I don't mind spending a bit over $60 if it's worth it, maybe tops of $80

May 23, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 23
Hm, what do you value more: isolation or comfort?  The two are often mutually exclusive.  Most highly isolating IEMs aren't particularly comfortable, and most that are lauded for comfort aren't particularly isolating.  The most comfortable IEM I've ever used would definitely be the Soundmagic PL50.  Extremely comfortable but you may want to try third-party tips for the best seal (Sony Hybrids might work well, but I've never tried them myself.  Generic foamies I have seem to work well, but I don't know where you can buy the ones I have separately).

Problem is, they don't isolate much.  Definitely better than some vented dynamics can be (these are unvented balanced armature 'phones) but if isolation is a priority you might want to give them a pass.

May 23, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 23
Comfort, mainly. I've been reading reviews on the PL50s and they're a decent price on eBay (I think?) at $80 incl postage. 

Unfortunately, I can't get a hold of any Hippo VBs. The range on eBay around here seems to be a bit small in my price range for IEMs that aren't Sennheisers.

May 23, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 23
Since you would wear it on the bus, I assume you should wear something with high isolation and no sound leakage, right?

Anyway, you may find something satisfactory here: http://www.pickegg.com/wholesale/earphone/?welcome=57903.

Hope this helps.
beyersmile.png

May 23, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Comfort, mainly. I've been reading reviews on the PL50s and they're a decent price on eBay (I think?) at $80 incl postage. 

Unfortunately, I can't get a hold of any Hippo VBs. The range on eBay around here seems to be a bit small in my price range for IEMs that aren't Sennheisers.

The street price should be closer to $55-$60, really, but that could just import inflation for australia...see if you can find cheaper ones from a good seller, or send the seller a message to see if they'll lower the price a bit.

Also, if your budget permits it, it wouldn't hurt to get a set of sony hybrid clones from ebay too, if you can find them cheaply enough...those are apparently quite good, even if they're fake.

and @amy822, that site appears to only sell chinese knockoffs.  Definitely wouldn't recommend buying anything from there if you want something that sounds half-decent.

edit: also, when do you need these to arrive?  A few weeks, or over a month?  Because some sites can probably sell them internationally for cheaper, however, shipping may take a long time.

May 23, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 23
$80 was the cheapest I could here, guess it must be import issues. 
Do you know of any sites I may be able to get them cheaper?
I need them within 4 weeks, 5 at the latest.

May 23, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 23
http://www.houseofdap.com/soundmagic-pl50-pl-50-in-ear-armature-professional-earphones.html

Well, you could try here.  Never ordered from them though, but they seem reliable enough.  Shipping shouldn't take too long to australia, according to their shipping info (there's a link on the bottom of the page).

May 24, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 23
Doing some research on those PL50s, and I've read that they are a bit weak as far as bass is concerned; and I'd like if anything to have decent bass to suit my music (Classic/heavy metal) which I like with a bit of bass. Are there any options in my price range that are good to use for long lengths of time or are the PL50s my only option?

May 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 23
Brainwavz M1, perhaps?  The PL50 isn't really weak with the bass though.  I think it's quite acceptable unless you're a total basshead.  People are usually just comparing it with IEMs that have way too much bass.  But if you really want a lot of bass, the PL50 maybe isn't for you.  I was fine with it though.

May 24, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 23
I don't have the PL50's so I can't comment on them. But I would personally take reviews with a grain of salt. I remember before I bought my SR60i's I read a ton of reviews saying that they didn't have a lot of bass, and that they were best used for Rock(a few people even told me they wouldn't be good with jazz, my most listened to genre). Well, I ordered them anyways as I learned long ago not to put too much stock in others opinions. Cnce they arrived I found both claims to be false. The bass is plenty enough for me, and they sound utterly fantastic with jazz. One of THE best headphones I've ever owned, especially at that price.

But then again, I'm not a bass head. So I don't know if the bass would be sufficient for genre's like rap or that electronic music.

So anyways, again, I wouldn't take reviews/opinions too much to heart. Another example is the Sennheiser CX series. A lot of people don't think highly of this series of IEM's, but my 300-II's were excellent. Especially at the price.

So you're never going to know if you're going to like PL50's or not until you try them out. The bass amount might be plenty for you.

If you can spend a bit more then I suggest going with the Shure SE215's(not if they're going to be like $150 though with your conversion rate). You'll be satisfied with the bass, and they are a fantastic sounding IEM and very comfortable(not to mention excellent build quality from the housings to the cable) for the $99 price. I wasn't too happy with them when I first got them(especially with the over-the-ear design), but after I burned these in for a few days they really started to show their potential. Now I can't get enough of them.

Quote:
Doing some research on those PL50s, and I've read that they are a bit weak as far as bass is concerned; and I'd like if anything to have decent bass to suit my music (Classic/heavy metal) which I like with a bit of bass. Are there any options in my price range that are good to use for long lengths of time or are the PL50s my only option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back