Need help with purchasing my first Planar Mag cans
Jun 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DarKen23

INCOMPLETE TRADES
IP address matches youngGeezeh
Hello awesome headfi community! I finally have some dough to purchase my very first planar magnetic headphones and maybe a headphone amp to go with it. While Im sure many will recommend the Audeze line, Im seriously considering the HiFiMan HE-500. I also want to match the headphones with a good/decent amp.

If I purchase the LCD2, Id be short on the funds for a amp. Going with the HE500 would allow me to drop some dough on a headamp, Ive heard so many great things about the HE500 pairing well with the Lyr from Schiit. I wanted to get some insight with the pairing of HE500+Lyr, from what Ive read the HE500 has very good trebles/highs and fall behind the LCD2 in terms of bass. I do enjoy bass but Im looking for a all around sound, I listen to many types of genre but listen to a lot of electronica, vocals, and pop. I am assuming that the Lyr is a dark sounding amp, hence the good synergy with the HE500. Which tubes should I go with if I am to purchase the Lyr, the GE or JJ, how and to what extent do they differ? Are there other amps that you guys suggest that pair well with the 500s? My budget is 500 for an amp.

Also, Is there a recommendation for a DAC? I currently have the Cypher Labs -db dac. Thanks guys, I would really appreciate the input.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 3
I'll just say that you won't be disappointed with the bass on the HE-500s. It's very nice. I can't speak for the Lyr as I haven't used it, but I would be confident enough to give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back