Need help with picking out new car.
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #31 of 60
Oct 27, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #32 of 60
Oct 27, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #33 of 60

Quote:
Really? Audi has always had reliability issues, especially with their electrics.

Well German and electrical problems goes hand in hand in my mind.  No surprise.  Being rated below VW, which I have absolutely no respect for, is a surprise to me.  I might expect mechanical issues from a late 80's to 90's Audi but thought they had improved considerably since then.  Perhaps not.    

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #34 of 60

Yes, I recently bought an older Honda Civic EX. If I had a choice I would have got a bare bones car with nothing but AC, but for the price I had to get it. It's not so much the features, it's just the all around reliability, so it didn't bother me too much. It has power locks, windows, AC, and an auto transmission. (I was open to both auto and manual when looking for a car)

Although having a BMW M3 would be loads of fun, it would be nice if they had "Honda Reliability".

What kind of car do you drive?

Admittedly, I like the older M3s and the 3-series convertibles with manual tops. A few times, I've been tempted to pick one up but the part costs frighten me, as does the vacuum system.

The daily beater is an '07 Scion tC five speed with TRD suspension and 67k miles. It's a Spec model, which doesn't have the power moonroof. I bought that on purpose because the moonroof has had a recall and assorted problems. The TRD bits shaped up handling nicely. Runs great, has a Camry drivetrain, and I plan to keep it.

The other vehicles include a 1971 Comet with a 302 (my first car), a 1966 Mustang convertible with a 220, a 1967 Mustang with a 289, and a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650. All of them are easy to wrench on and give very few problems. Then again, they don't see many miles and are down here in the desert.

I might pick up another bike and am thinking about building a kit, maybe a Pembleton three-wheeler with a Moto Guzzi engine. They look like lots of fun and can be pulled off for $8k-$10k. Also been looking for another truck. Some years back, I had a 1959 F-100 with a 292. Three on the tree, power nothing, $300, and it came with an assortment of beer cans and spent shotgun shells in the bed.
smily_headphones1.gif
I really wish I had kept it.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #35 of 60

Quote:
The daily beater is an '07 Scion tC five speed with TRD suspension and 67k miles. It's a Spec model, which doesn't have the power moonroof. I bought that on purpose because the moonroof has had a recall and assorted problems. The TRD bits shaped up handling nicely. Runs great, has a Camry drivetrain, and I plan to keep it.

Good call.  I saw one a few months ago that had the shattered wind deflector.  I had forgotten about the issue till then.  Do you ever have anyone in the back that uses the reclining rear seats?

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #36 of 60
No, I rarely have anyone in the back seat. Occasionally we put the kids back there, but they don't know the seats can be adjusted. I'd like to keep it that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #37 of 60

Quote:
Well German and electrical problems goes hand in hand in my mind.  No surprise.  Being rated below VW, which I have absolutely no respect for, is a surprise to me.  I might expect mechanical issues from a late 80's to 90's Audi but thought they had improved considerably since then.  Perhaps not.    

I've been extremely lucky with my 04 VW Jetta. So far, it has had some minor electrical quirks but nothing really major. 107,000+ miles and it still runs perfectly.

On the other hand, I know several people who are going through hell with their VWs/Audis. Electrical and mechanical problems everywhere. VW knows how to make great cars, they just don't know how to make them reliable. The worst part is, they won't stand up for their customers and often leave them hanging with gigantic repair bills.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #38 of 60
After some talking and trips to serveral trips to dealerships, we have decided to get a sedan instead of SUV. Since we get snow but not really so much a sedan would not be able to handle. I have been eying the new Jag XF, as it looks like is a good deal compared to BMW 535i, Audi A6. Other choices that are lower priced are the Saab 3-9, and Volvo S80. Wonding if anyone has any general expreiences with any of these brands/models.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #39 of 60

Quote:
After some talking and trips to serveral trips to dealerships, we have decided to get a sedan instead of SUV. Since we get snow but not really so much a sedan would not be able to handle. I have been eying the new Jag XF, as it looks like is a good deal compared to BMW 535i, Audi A6. Other choices that are lower priced are the Saab 3-9, and Volvo S80. Wonding if anyone has any general expreiences with any of these brands/models.

Saab is in a state of breaking free of GM and new designs by Jon Castriotta should be in the pipeline within a year.  Reliabilty overall not far off the other German brands, not sure about repair expenses for SAAB.  Volvo is getting bought by Geely of China largely because Chinese cars are deathtraps and they need instant boost to their safety cred and R&D.  The point being, both companies are in state of flux atm if that is a concern.  Jag is the furthest along since breaking away from parent Ford and being its own entity.  Mixed reports on reliabilty.  Where the old Jag and the new improved Jag converge is unknown to me.  The XF is a capable drivers car and has great looks and luxury IMO.  I have a soft spot for British luxury and refined interiors though.  Have you looked at a Lexus GS?  I think there is an AWD GS variant.     

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #40 of 60
Any reason you're not looking at the Lexus or Acura sedans?

Personally, if I had to have four doors in occasionally bad weather, I'd get an Accord LX with a 5 speed.  Only about $22k - not a bad deal.  When I lived in central Oregon, a clutch with a good set of radials got me through quite a few snowstorms.  I'd also look at the Camry and Fusion.  I think both are available with manual transmissions and get high marks for reliability.

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #41 of 60
I have and looking at the options for the lexus and the pricing it seems like a more expensive option. If you go to the Jag site and compare XF to other cars in the price range you get much more in terms of features and warrenty and complimentary servicing. Another option that my mom is pushing for is a Prius. While I dont agree with the looks, I do like the price and gas milage. However I cant see myself wanting to drive around upstate NY in one! even with "good" snow tires. I read on some prius forms that it is not generally a major problem, but i dont know.....

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #42 of 60
Another model to consider is the Ford Taurus. Seriously. It looks great and is great value. The limited starts at $32,600 and the SHO at $38,600. Both have AWD (although it is only standard on the SHO).

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #43 of 60
At those ranges I'm all about the Subaru Legacy.  If the looks don't bother you the performance, relaibility, AWD, interior isolation and leather package is fantastic.  If the current one looked like my '05 I'd say its a no brainer.  But next to an Accord or Camry anything becomes acceptable IMO.  

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #44 of 60

Quote:
Saab is in a state of breaking free of GM and new designs by Jon Castriotta should be in the pipeline within a year.  Reliabilty overall not far off the other German brands, not sure about repair expenses for SAAB.

Saab's future is a bit cloudy given Spyker's horrendous financial situation. I'd definitely stay away until that situation clears up.

Quote:
I have and looking at the options for the lexus and the pricing it seems like a more expensive option. If you go to the Jag site and compare XF to other cars in the price range you get much more in terms of features and warrenty and complimentary servicing. Another option that my mom is pushing for is a Prius. While I dont agree with the looks, I do like the price and gas milage. However I cant see myself wanting to drive around upstate NY in one! even with "good" snow tires. I read on some prius forms that it is not generally a major problem, but i dont know.....

If reliability is a concern, I'd stay far away from the any Jaguar. Sure there's a decent warranty on paper, but there's plenty of horror stories about poor dealer service and the famed Jaguar unreliability to deal with too.

As far as the Japanese entry level luxury sedans go, you can get an enthusiast focused sedan (Infiniti G37), a low drama cruiser (Lexus ES350), or something in between (Acura TL) for under $35k. All three feature excellent reliability to boot.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

No matter the warranty or perks, being stranded is unacceptable.  I've seen people miss work because their car wouldn't start and had to be towed in.  They might get free warranty work and a loaner, but they still missed the 9AM meeting because waiting for the tow truck, going to the dealer, filling out forms, getting the loaner car, etc. etc. took them a good two to three hours.

If the car goes down at night, you might get it towed to a closed dealership, drop the keys, have a friend/cab come pick you up, then have a friend/cab take you back to the dealer the next day to fill out the forms, get the loaner, etc.  It's a pain and a few former co-workers ended up burning vacation time just to deal with your car.  If you get two weeks vacation each year, do you want to spend three or four of those 14 days having a car towed and standing around a dealership?  And if you're in business, do you want to roll up to an important meeting in something plastered with a giant "Luxury Motors Courtesy Vehicle" sign on the back window and an 800 number and a URL in large type across the sides?  Not a good impression.

It's gotten worse with the cars that have loads of electronic gizmos.  Those have a way of heading south and draining the battery or causing a short that keeps the car from starting.  It used to be that you had a good idea when a major repair was on the way.  If the engine isn't running right, the brakes pull to the left, the shifting goes soggy, etc. you know it and have a chance to take it in before you get stuck somewhere.  The new electrical stuff fails unpredictably and leaves you stranded.  That's why I want as few electrical systems as possible and why so many of the low-end Japanese cars are excellent.  Few electrical gizmos and the mechanical bits are bulletproof.

Anyhow, reliability is sexy.  Plain looks are fine if it starts every time and runs over 100k miles with only scheduled maintenance.

If you want to stand out from the crowd, buy an old car.  I've got a few down here and they absolutely get noticed.  I've ridden in some expensive luxury cars, and they tend not to be noticed.  Only antiques, exotics and the truly unusual get eyeballs.  You don't have to spend a lot, either.  My '85 Nighthawk got a small crowd when I took it to a bike night.  People walked past some very nice new hardware to ask about it.  I paid $700 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back