NEED HELP WITH IN-EAR HEADPHONES
Jan 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

slickooz

100+ Head-Fier
hi everybody! i was looking around for reviews for shure se530 and have read there were many people who was experiencing wires cracking. my problem is i want to get nice phones that will last a very long time. my last one was bose in ear and they sounded alright but they cracked after a year of use. any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. i found the shure se530 for 250 and wanted to know what you guys thought about them. im also going be using 3rd gen itouch. are these high end headphones used for these mp3 players? or for other players?
edit:
also i want to keep it under 250 thanks a lot

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 18
apparently the newer iteration of the SE530s no longer have the cracking wire issue. the problem is determining if the seller is selling the newer version or the older version. safest bet is getting it from an authorized dealer, but that would put you up near MSRP.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 18
i tried that and i cant find any mega thread for shure se530. are they not popular? the other brand like westone 3 had like 2000+ replies. i cant find any thread with more then 20 replies for shure se530

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 18
i looked through like 10 pages... can someone help me out and link me? im on the fence on buying these, want to read more on what people thought about them. hate to keep looking at diff thread for shure se530. so they suck? and are they not popular here?

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 18
They're great but like any phone, not universally appreciated. They're sort of the one most reviews compare to and everybody claims to be better than. You wont be sorry. Midrange is universally praised and both lows and highs are great. Just slightly on the warm side and perhaps a bit extra presence that masks it's high frequency extension but everything is there and in as good a balance as anything else. Detail is tremendous without having an in your face sound. Less crossovery(sic) than most other multi driver units. Note the sticky on fakes. You can probably tell I own them after some premium auditions.

I'm waiting for a pair of pl-50s as cheap backups for watching PC movies etc. Can somebody clue me in if this was a good choice? Clarity and naturalness are what I like. Yes, even on Radiohead.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 18
goodvibes- PL-50s are alright as cheap backups. For mine, I do hear static and buzzing from my PC. Correct me if I'm wrong, this issue is due to the sensitivity of the IEM. They are really comfortable. I can wear them for hours and game.

Till now, with Trips and IE8, I've not even given Se530 an audition. I wonder if I've missed out. My aversion stems from the build quality issues with the Se530 when it first came to attention, followed by the comparision between the TF10, UM2, and Se530.

I favour mids and bass, so with the IE8, will I tend towards Se530 or W3 for the next IEM?

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 18
how are the IE8? they are very popular in this forums. im thinking about something esle because the seller on ebay just raised the price from 250 to 270 today, kind of sucks but these IE8 seem like they are well liked. how does it compare to se530? are they a step down in performance?

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 18
Again, I think it depends on your preferences. At the price range of a pair of SE530s, you can also get other triple-driver universals.

Having auditioned SE530s for a few times already, I really am not a fon of its warm sound signature. That does not mean that I rank the SE530s below other IEMs (the only other high-end universal IEM I've tried is the TF10 Pros, but as far as price is concerned, they do not qualify anymore as a high-end product since you can get it off eBay at US$150); I prefer the TF10 Pro's clarity, instrument separation, and soundstage over the lush mids of the SE530s. Nevertheless, you'll never go wrong with this 'phone.

@EraserXIV Really? There are newer versions of the SE530s? I think the ones sold here in Manila are the old stock...since retail stores here aren't moving their old SE530 stocks that much due to their steep price tag. Thanks for the info!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 18
I find the UE's more sparkley and less natural through the critical mids. If the mids aren't right, it really matters little to me what else is happening, it always will sound odd. I have the latest SE530s after getting them replaced due to a channel drop. I don't know if it's the improved cable or something else but they are a bit less thick than the first pair after breakin and yes they need quite a bit even though they're BA's. They actually started out with noticably too much presence but have settled in nicely. If you have an early pair. try them without the estension cable and you may find the balance much better with a portable. Of course that's not very practical but gives a clue to what may be the issue. I used a different extension with my old pair but no longer feel it as important.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 18
i think im going be buying UE 10vi found it for 160. shure where lowest is now 270 about 100 more. spending 100 more doesnt seem justify of the problem with its 530 phone wires. what do you guys think UE 10vi, the one with the mic will work well with the 3rd gen ipod touch? are there any other u would suggest for around 160?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back