Need help with choosing "Hi-end" universal IEM?!
Nov 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yliu

500+ Head-Fier
So first, I wanted to get the UE Triple fi 10 since it fit my taste, but I found that many people have problem with the cable breaking inside the earphone:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522845/ue-tf10-rattling-in-one-monitor#post_7060869

Now, I am looking for something else, that is great for rock, more oe less neutral, but with more bass (low bass, not midbass like the IE8). Any suggestions?

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 12
Loving my new EarSonics SM3 right this very moment.  Lusious bass, fantastic mids, and clean highs.  The lows hit nice and deep. They remind me of an HD650 or Denon D2000 but in IEM form.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 12

I'm looking for the same thing, high-end IEM's for rock.  My current Klipsch S4's are not cutting it. I've been recommended the UE Triple fi 10 and the Westone 3.  I was told that the Triple fi have better highs and the Westone 3 better bass, but both "fantastic".  Oh and Westone 3, better fit.  I'm currently leaning towards the Westone 3 for better fit plus the reviews on Amazon for the Triple fi 10's are not very positive towards the quality.

Quote:
So first, I wanted to get the UE Triple fi 10 since it fit my taste, but I found that many people have problem with the cable breaking inside the earphone:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522845/ue-tf10-rattling-in-one-monitor#post_7060869

Now, I am looking for something else, that is great for rock, more oe less neutral, but with more bass (low bass, not midbass like the IE8). Any suggestions?

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Don't believe everything you read regarding product reviews on Amazon.  Of course, many reviews here can tend towards being a bit hyperbolic...

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 12
No prob.  Figured they would be a safe bet.  OP didn't give a budget, but they seemed to be in the right range.

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 12
I haven't heard the SM3 so take this with a grain but one of the minor draw backs has been stated as lower fun or boogie factor. It's proabaly a good choice but maybe Rock isn't it's top genre. Have you considered a cheap custom. The JH5 has plenty of go, is on the very slightly warm side and goes lower than the TF10.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 12

Good point, although according to Golden monkey the SM3 remind him of an HD650/D2000 which are pretty badass for rock.  I too have read of users who purchased the SM3 and have not been wowed by their sound due to their neutral nature.  Maybe Golden Monkey can chime in?
The JH5 customs look pretty cool.  But I don't want to go to the trouble of going to an ear dr. for impressions.  My fiance already thinks i'm nutz as it is!

Quote:
I haven't heard the SM3 so take this with a grain but one of the minor draw backs has been stated as lower fun or boogie factor. It's proabaly a good choice but maybe Rock isn't it's top genre. Have you considered a cheap custom. The JH5 has plenty of go, is on the very slightly warm side and goes lower than the TF10.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Well...I find the SM3 to be neutral, but they have ample bass that hits hard, they are warm, and the top end is clean (no sibilance).  Yes, they ARE neutral in that they don't add a lot of coloration to the sound, but that's a good thing because they play really nicely with EQing, so you can shape the sound to your liking that way.  If you want a little more critical listening session, turn the EQ off and enjoy exactly what the recording gives you.  They have been awesome so far with rock, techno, metal, and industrial.  This is coming in the wake of using an Ety ER-4P/S for years, so a lot of phones will sound warmer and bassier, lol...but these are not dark or slow or any other "unflattering opposites of Ety" descriptors.  This IS coming from someone who's tried them, lol.  They are a lot of fun for your head.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

want to try the sleek audio SA7 with my when they come out?

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 12

Sweet!  Thanks GM.  I'm 90% convinced on getting these.  I just hope they fit me well, I use the stock medium tips that came with my Klipsch S4's with great success so i'm thinking my ears are typical size. 

To the OP sorry for hijacking your post!

Quote:
Well...I find the SM3 to be neutral, but they have ample bass that hits hard, they are warm, and the top end is clean (no sibilance).  Yes, they ARE neutral in that they don't add a lot of coloration to the sound, but that's a good thing because they play really nicely with EQing, so you can shape the sound to your liking that way.  If you want a little more critical listening session, turn the EQ off and enjoy exactly what the recording gives you.  They have been awesome so far with rock, techno, metal, and industrial.  This is coming in the wake of using an Ety ER-4P/S for years, so a lot of phones will sound warmer and bassier, lol...but these are not dark or slow or any other "unflattering opposites of Ety" descriptors.  This IS coming from someone who's tried them, lol.  They are a lot of fun for your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back