Need help wiring Superlux HD668B
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rossinator

100+ Head-Fier
So after jerking the extension jack out one too many times, using an extension that was way too big and heavy, etc, I damaged the plug and needed to repair it. I followed how it already was when I first did it, but I didn't do a good enough job. Now I'm trying to do it again but can't remember how it needs to be wired.

I have no idea where the ground wire goes. I've included some pictures. Can anyone help me?

RightDriver.jpg LeftDriver.jpg

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Are the pics of each side?

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Yes, first one is the right side where the original jack was, second is the left side. So far the best I've done is managed to have one driver in stereo (sometimes with some bleed over into the other driver) with the other driver in mono (and vice versa). Right now I'm starting to think something is screwy with the headphones but I thought I would see if anyone can help.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi, sorry, can you please confirm the original wiring was entering only in the left side?
This means you have two wire ( white and red) bringing the "hot" signal ( Land R) and a common wire for the "return" (ground).
According to your pictures, you should connect the copper external wire (the shield) of your main cable to the headphones pole were is still connected the white wire in the bottom picture, and sold also the white wire in the top picture at the same point.
If the entry cable in on the left cup, next you have to sold the withe wire of the main cable to the red wire of the driver in the top picture, and the red wire of the main cable to the other pole, were is connected the red cable of the bottom picture.

In this way both channel should be connected correctly, but you could have the left and right channel swapped.... this means you should invert the soldering point of the white and red wires of the main cable...

To avoid that, before soldering, you should test if the color code of your main cable is correct ( White - Left and Red - Right).

If any, ask again

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 6
The original plug only was only on the right side (right driver). I have not done anything to the left side. I just can't seem to get stereo from these no matter how I solder them.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 6
Dear Rossinator,

Ok, what I told you is still valid, there is a common connection, the copper wire and two "signal" wires, the white and the red wires, you have to connect them to the wires coming out from the drivers, the left one and the right one. So in order to preserve the correct L & R connection, you have to connect the Right signal wire (red) to the red on the right driver, and the Left signal wire to the red wire on the left drivers, the two white wires of the two speakers need to be connected both to the common wire ( the copper common wire).

In this kind of headphones, the two metal arches have both a mechanical and an electrical role, because they assure the electrical connection between the two cups. So, pratically you should just swap the connections in the previous scheme:
you should connect the copper external wire (the shield) of your main cable to the headphones pole were is still connected the white wire in the bottom picture, and solder also the white wire in the top picture at the same point.
If the entry cable in on the right cup, next you have to sold the red wire of the main cable to the red wire of the driver in the top picture, and the white wire of the main cable to the other pole, were is connected the red cable of the bottom picture.

I hope that can help you

PS: the superlux 681 is quite similar to the 688, here a picture of the input electrical connections
4916668.jpg

So, using your picture as reference, I tried to sketch the right connections
9937647_l.jpg

please let me know

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back