NEED HELP WIRING BEYER N1000 'PHONES TO WORK OFF STAX ENERGIZERS & AMPS!
Jun 21, 2011 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

milosz

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Beyer N1000 electrostatic headphones I'd like to use on ('standard' bias) Stax amps and adapters

So, I need to either find and install a Stax 6-pin cable - but so far I have not been able to find one, all I can find are Stax 5-pin cables.

Or, I need to find the correct 6-pin plug, some appropriate wire and make up a cable.

The cable on my N1000's is shot.

I NEED:

1. WHERE TO BUY 6-PIN CABLE  (Have one to sell?  Make an offer!)
                     -or-
  1. WHERE TO BUY 6-PIN PLUG
  2. WHERE TO BUY FLEXIBLE LOW-CAPACITANCE CABLE THAT CAN HANDLE THE POLARIZING VOLTAGE

PLUS I NEED:

PIN OUT  for STAX 6 PIN CONNECTOR  

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 4

milosz

500+ Head-Fier
OK, so I learned from a kind soul who sent me a PM that the 6 pin connector is mfd. by WPI.  I found that CDM sells them online, no minimum qty.  Part number is ?     [I thought GC329,  but this is NOT the right plug type.  DO NOT ORDER GC329  WILL NOT FIT STAX SOCKETS OF ANY KIND!!!)

I think I will be able to deduce the pinout from the Stax SRM-T1 amp I just bought, it has high bias and low bias sockets on it.  And the wiring inside the Beyer is dead simple.

So now all I need is suitable cable.  I guess I could buy a Stax cable with a 5-pin plug on it and just chop off the plug, solder on my 6-pin plug.  A Koss ESP-9/ESP-10/ESP-950 cable would probably work too, and would be way cheaper.

I'll post the Stax pinout once I suss it out.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 4

deadlylover

Headphoneus Supremus
Yo, check out the wikiphonia.

Put the bias at the right spot and you shouldn't be able to blow anything up =P.

Edit: Make sure you check with a multimeter on your T1, I'm bloody confusing myself now looking at that picture .....

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 4

milosz

500+ Head-Fier

Quote:
Yo, check out the wikiphonia.

Put the bias at the right spot and you shouldn't be able to blow anything up =P.

Edit: Make sure you check with a multimeter on your T1, I'm bloody confusing myself now looking at that picture .....

Oh yeah, multimeter for sure. 'Scope, too, I think, just to make sure.

Koss ESP-950 replacement headset cable is $13.50.  Perfect to recable a set of ESL headphones like my Beyer N1000's.  OFC wiring, low capacitance.  Just change the plug.

One orders the cable by  calling Koss support, 1-800-872-5677, Monday-Friday between 8:30am-4:30pm CST.  

Users who are viewing this thread