need help upgrading USB cable
Jan 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

CB3874

100+ Head-Fier

Hello,

I feel like I'm about to kick a hornet's nest by asking this. Can someone suggest an USB cable upgrade for my Apogee Duet 2? I'm not concerned about how it sounds because that's subjective and there are a zillion posts here on how various USB cables sound that make your head spin. I'm just looking for something that will help eliminate or minimize noise / electric interference from my home and my iMac. Here's my current setup in order:

Outlet > Ebtech Hum X Exterminator  > Monster Power Pro 1000 > 27” 2010 iMac > Apogee Duet 2 > KRK Rokit 5 (2nd Gen) / Shure SRH 440

I’m using 2 Mogami Gold Balanced TRS ¼ cables connecting the speakers to my DAC.

Thanks! 

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 45
I recommend Kimber Kable.  It's not terribly expensive, but performs very well.  There are cheaper alternatives, and I ordered from headroom:

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/usb-cables.php

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 45
USB cable creating noise??? how??  Seriously I am really interested, as I can see no possible way for you to add noise to a digital signal, from a "noob" perspective.  If you send data down a cable, the same data is at the other end, no degrade, no interferance.  I could be completely wrong as I am not a tech expert but the usb cable cannot be subject to interferance like audio noise.  This leads me to believe its either source (crap in = crap out) or its bewteen the apogee and the speakers. 

Is this why you said hornets nest??

really if I am able to learn something I am open to others opinions.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:
I recommend Kimber Kable.  It's not terribly expensive, but performs very well.  There are cheaper alternatives, and I ordered from headroom:

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/usb-cables.php

x2, i love there cables. I love the RCA's and speaker cable i have from them.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:
USB cable creating noise??? how??  Seriously I am really interested, as I can see no possible way for you to add noise to a digital signal, from a "noob" perspective.  If you send data down a cable, the same data is at the other end, no degrade, no interferance.  I could be completely wrong as I am not a tech expert but the usb cable cannot be subject to interferance like audio noise.  This leads me to believe its either source (crap in = crap out) or its bewteen the apogee and the speakers. 

Is this why you said hornets nest??

really if I am able to learn something I am open to others opinions.

BUMP

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 45
What he said ^^ As long as a cable meets USB spec, its the same whether you buy a cheap or expensive cable.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 45
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not going to dispute what other people hear. I heard a difference. A cheap cable can pickup noise and the data could be mixed up with the power. I don't know and I'm not going to pretend I know. I've read other people posts on the matter and was intrigued. I was more concerned about minimizing noise than sound quality. I ordered the Audioquest Carbon USB cable to hear for myself. I was pleasantly surprised and did a A/B test with a couple of other people, one was salesperson at a HiFi shop. They all picked the Audioquest Carbon. The HiFi salesperson even said the Audioquest Carbon was better than the Transparent Audio Performance USB cable they had. I don't know what else to say. I was skeptical but I heard a difference. I would rather put the funds toward to headphones or a headphone amp, but the new cable was a worthy upgrade. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not going to dispute what other people hear. I heard a difference. A cheap cable can pickup noise and the data could be mixed up with the power. I don't know and I'm not going to pretend I know. I've read other people posts on the matter and was intrigued. I was more concerned about minimizing noise than sound quality. I ordered the Audioquest Carbon USB cable to hear for myself. I was pleasantly surprised and did a A/B test with a couple of other people, one was salesperson at a HiFi shop. They all picked the Audioquest Carbon. The HiFi salesperson even said the Audioquest Carbon was better than the Transparent Audio Performance USB cable they had. I don't know what else to say. I was skeptical but I heard a difference. I would rather put the funds toward to headphones or a headphone amp, but the new cable was a worthy upgrade. 

See, its your ears, so whatever ups the enjoyment, and as long as you don't have any buyers remorse, its ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back