Need help to test the 20,000 sound tracks music library firmware for X5 !
Nov 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #76 of 86

No changes in sound with any of the firmware versions for me. Ultimately there is nothing wrong with the sound out my unit it's just not engaging like Ibasso DX50 is to me. As far as Cowons go I haven't used D2 or D2+ for a long time - they are my kids players now, but J3 and X9 are the ones I use regularly with Brainvawz R1 and R3 earphones and I can't detect any issues with low frequencies. Mind you I am 47 and some frequencies are not there anymore, also I tweeked BBE settings to my liking .

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #77 of 86
I currently have two 64gb cards with about 4,500 lossless FLAC files. Increasing the limit to 20,000 is great, but even if I upgrade to 128gb cards, I'll still only have about 9,000 FLACs. What I wanted to do was add 256gb or 512gb extra via OTG, but Fiio tell me that they have deliberately stopped the library scanner from scanning the OTG storage. So can we scan OTG as well please Fiio ????  

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #78 of 86
I currently have two 64gb cards with about 4,500 lossless FLAC files. Increasing the limit to 20,000 is great, but even if I upgrade to 128gb cards, I'll still only have about 9,000 FLACs. What I wanted to do was add 256gb or 512gb extra via OTG, but Fiio tell me that they have deliberately stopped the library scanner from scanning the OTG storage. So can we scan OTG as well please Fiio ????  

I think the problem is OTG storage is usually attached on a temporary basis, so having the auto scanner activate (and take its sweet time) every time an OTG drive is plugged in or removed would be a pain in the you-know-where for most users :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #79 of 86
Thanks for the reply, but it will be a pain in the you-know-where for some of us if it can't scan the OTG storage. My use of OTG storage will be permanent (I'll only take it out when charging) as I will use it to get past the current 256gb limit (I want 500gb minimum in total).

Why can't you give us a menu option for whether to scan OTG or not, and leave the default to "No", so that those of us who want to scan it can choose the option to scan, and everyone else can carry on as they are. I think the reason why you are not getting more requests like mine is that so few people have been able to get OTG working so far. When they do have it, people will want the option to scan.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #80 of 86
Thanks for the reply, but it will be a pain in the you-know-where for some of us if it can't scan the OTG storage. My use of OTG storage will be permanent (I'll only take it out when charging) as I will use it to get past the current 256gb limit (I want 500gb minimum in total).

Why can't you give us a menu option for whether to scan OTG or not, and leave the default to "No", so that those of us who want to scan it can choose the option to scan, and everyone else can carry on as they are. I think the reason why you are not getting more requests like mine is that so few people have been able to get OTG working so far. When they do have it, people will want the option to scan.

Should I congratulate you on your luck on getting an OTG device that works with the X5... or have you crossed that bridge yet? :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 28, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #82 of 86
Yesterday I got one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral ... ords=integral+512gb
and can confirm it works with the X5 on OTG. I had seen one being sold cheaply on ebay and emailed Integral's customer service who confirmed it had a Phison USB controller. I thought it was probably worth the risk, and it was. I now have 2 x 64gb TF cards and a 512gb SSD. That's enough room for about 22,000 FLAC files.

The Integral is smaller than the X5 and slightly larger than a credit card, and I plan to use the stacking kit to lash it to the back of the X5. I just need to buy a short USB 3.0 cable as it comes with one about 40cm long.

So nice Fiio people, how about giving us the option to scan the OTG storage into the library?

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #84 of 86

Thanks, but the SSD has a USB 3.0 micro B connector, so I have to get a cable to fit that. What I really want is a cable about 5 inches long with a right angled USB 3.0 micro B connector at one end, and a straight standard A male (to plug into the female end of the OTG cable) at the other. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find that. I found a US supplier who sell one for $13 but they want about $25 extra for shipping to the UK !!

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #85 of 86

Thanks, but the SSD has a USB 3.0 micro B connector, so I have to get a cable to fit that. What I really want is a cable about 5 inches long with a right angled USB 3.0 micro B connector at one end, and a straight standard A male (to plug into the female end of the OTG cable) at the other. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find that. I found a US supplier who sell one for $13 but they want about $25 extra for shipping to the UK !!

If that's the connector I think it is, you can still use a USB 2.0 micro B cable with it. You just won't get USB 3.0 speeds.

From wikipedia:

"USB 3.0 also introduced a new Micro-B cable plug, which consists of a standard USB 1.x/2.0 Micro-B cable plug, with additional 5-pin plug "stacked" on side of it. That way, USB 3.0 Micro-A host connector preserved its backward compatibility with the USB 1.x/2.0 Micro-B cable plugs."

I have several external drives I use this way. The 2.0 micro just plugs into the wider of the two "halves" of the USB 3 socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back