Need help to pick up new headphones, around-ear, circumaural, probably closed, under $200
Nov 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Joni1991

Head-Fier
So I am in a search for a new pair of headphones. I don't think I have ever owned a pair of open-back headphones, so I'm not sure yet, if they would be a good option too. However, I would like to have decent isolation, so I could use the headphones in places like library without disturbing other people. If there is some sound-wise much better option with open-back, I might be willing to abandon the idea of using them in quiet public places, and use some of my IEMs instead. Main purpose for the headphones would be listening music directly through iMac's headphone jack, and the possible secondary purpose would be using them through Macbook Air's headphone jack whenever I'm on the go. The headphones must be around-ear, circumaural, and comfortable!

I have been doing a little bit research, and I see that closed circumaural headphones are not very easy to find, at least not on my price range. Basically only good option I have found myself is Sennheiser HD 449.

I listen pretty much all kind of music, but majority of my playlist is pop and electronic.

Thank you in advance for replies!

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 19
Hi!

You should consider:

Creative Aurvana Live!
Gemini HSR 1000 = Takstar Pro 80 (Same Headphones)

You can find a lot of information about Creative Aurvana Live! in this forum and you can read and ask about Takstar's Pro 80 here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Best Luck!

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 19
ath-m50 or dt770 pro 80 ohm are probably 2 of the good ones that i would suggest. ath-m50 has a more flat and accurate sounding where as dt770 has more thumping bass and better soundstage

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 19
Hello,

Go for the Sennheiser HD439 instead for better bass response for your electronic genre. Otherwise, there is the UE6000 which goes on sale quite often.

Hope it helps,
Billson :)

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 19
I took a look in all the suggestions. Thank you for all of them!

These options look pretty good for me:
Sennheiser HD439
Takstar Pro 80
UE6000

I'll try to find a place where I could hear at least some of them.

Creative Aurvana Live might have been good, but I didn't like it's look at all. While I fear that ath-m50 would be too flat, and dt770 does not look like circumaural to me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 19
Beyerdynamic DT770 80 are circumaural headphones (full size) and are also one step over the rest. They were designed for monitoring bass heavy instruments like electric bass, drums, etc. This headphones need amplification to sound its best and are about twice the price of the others.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 19
Oh, I see now that DT770 really are circumaural. They look like an awesome headphones, but since they need amplification to improve their sound, I think it is better for me to pass them for now. Also 80 ohm version is over my price range at least in Amazon.

Also AKG K267 are too expensive.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 19
Oh, I see now that DT770 really are circumaural. They look like an awesome headphones, but since they need amplification to improve their sound, I think it is better for me to pass them for now. Also 80 ohm version is over my price range at least in Amazon.

Also AKG K267 are too expensive.

How about the AKG K167? :)

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 19
AKG K167 seems to have very poor reviews and a lot of complains in Amazon? Are they good for real?

I just checked out CAL!2, and it seems like a really good option. I have never had Creative's audio gear. Is there possibilities to try their headphones in Best Buy, or some other stores?

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 19
AKG K167 seems to have very poor reviews and a lot of complains in Amazon? Are they good for real?

I just checked out CAL!2, and it seems like a really good option. I have never had Creative's audio gear. Is there possibilities to try their headphones in Best Buy, or some other stores?

The AKG don't sound bad at all. Do benefit with an amp though. But the build quality is rather mediocre.

Otherwise, there is the AKG K545. Just wait for some Black Friday deals, you may be able to find one at your price range

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 19
AKG K545 looks really good option. What is the difference between AKG K545 and AKG K550? Because I could get AKG K550 on my budget from Amazon warehouse without any kind of deal hunting.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 19
AKG K545 looks really good option. What is the difference between AKG K545 and AKG K550? Because I could get AKG K550 on my budget from Amazon warehouse without any kind of deal hunting.

The K535 fixes the sealing problem on smaller head with more bass but smaller soundstage in comparison to the K550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back