Need help! Sub 140$, portable, isolating over-ear headphones, mostly for rock
Apr 27, 2014 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rebelinho

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there folks, I'm José from Portugal and I've been using Head-Fi great reviews for quite a while now. I'd never thought in signing up, but now that I'm searching for a new pair of headphones I figured it was better to seek for more specific help.

I own a pair of K450 for a year now, and I love them. Good sound, suficiently detailed, punchy bass, not too bright highs. For the music I usually listen to they are excellent: Franz Ferdinand, Black Keys, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Queen... they all sound amazing. Money from the remastered The Dark Side of the Moon is like heaven on earth. As for genres, I mostly listen to rock, rock/pop, instrumental and fado/alternative fado (sample). I like a really good bass, not necessarily beats bass but one I can truly feel, and goods highs and mids that don't get overbright. Too much sibilance is absolutely NOT ok.

Music is played on a normal android device, and some rare times on a laptop. No amps used and I will not get one, so the headphones need to be somewhat easy to be driven.

The problem is that the isolation and long term (3 hours plus) comfort are't the best in the K450. I use them at home and on the train, and isoltaion is no-where close to what I need. Plus bigger headphones = (normally) better confort. I have a normal size head, but my ears are a bit on the big side.

This being said, and after all the research I've done, I've come to these 3/4 headphones:

- those Bose headphones, which would be the absolute best, but 3 times my budget. dammit Bose!
- Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT100 (Pros: comfort, accessories, overall balance and SQ; Cons: both side cables and the NVX come with a ridiculous big case) 90€ from Amazon.com
- Sennheiser HD 439 (Pros: earpads, weight, cables, balance; Cons: build quality?, not that much bass?, not foldable and no case, maybe not totally circumaural?) 70/80€
- AudioTechnica ATH M30x (didn't find much about them, but are foldable, with very well defined midrange, etc) 88€

the Sony MDRZX700 would be a great choice, but I can't get them in Portugal. the M50 are a bit too expensive, and I've read they aren't that isolating and a tad uncomfortable

which one is the most suitable to me? are there more options? 

May 1, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 11
since nobody answered for 5 days, I figure this is too difficult. so I made it simpler: is the isolation increase between the K450 and the HM5 noticeable, or do I need to relegate sound quality to second plan and go for IEMs?

May 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 11
I have a friend who has the Shure 440's she quite likes them and wears them for a long while so they are likely comfortable and it sounds like it does a good job isolating.  Maybe something to consider?

May 2, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 11
I've came across them, but the non detachable coiled cable, those little cables that come around the earcups and long term comfort (over 4 hours) are drawbacks that made me reject them

May 2, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 11
The 440's cable is detachable and available in a non-coiled form just as an FYI but the comfort could be a concern if you are sensitive to headphones that make your ears feel really warm after a while.

May 3, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 11
I din't know the cable os detachable. ups, my bad. but yeah, I can tolerate pressure really well, but hot ears kill the deal. also, I'm also capable of getting the HM5 for just 67€ (the shure's would be 117€, almost twice the price), so the decisison is 99.9% made 

May 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 11
I havent heard the dolphins but a lot of people from the asian headphone thread really like it. You'll have to ask them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back