Need help replacing Q40 pads with Beyer 770. Advice? And/or Ultrasone model comparissons
Oct 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hauntingtheholy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.  I've never done a single mod on a headphone ever, but really want the Beyer pads on my Q40's as the stock pads on those are flaking on me.  Is this a mod so easy a monkey can do it?  If not, I may try trading them.  I love the way they sound with a small amp, though.  If I were gonna replace them, I'd like to hear some opinions on the varying ultrasone models in the same price range that have excellent bass response and aren't too bright or sibilant. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hey guys.  I've never done a single mod on a headphone ever, but really want the Beyer pads on my Q40's as the stock pads on those are flaking on me.  Is this a mod so easy a monkey can do it?  If not, I may try trading them.  I love the way they sound with a small amp, though.  If I were gonna replace them, I'd like to hear some opinions on the varying ultrasone models in the same price range that have excellent bass response and aren't too bright or sibilant. 

Heya,

Yes, it's very easy. You don't have to open the headphone or anything. The pads just come off, pull them. To put the Beyer pads on, you just fold the outer lip around the plastic, just like your stock pads are on. It's like putting on a tight dress shoe. If you can do that without falling into a fall and giving yourself a subdural hematoma, you're going to be ok.

Very best,

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply, Mal.  How do you like the sound of your Q40's after putting on the velour?  Do you have any recommendations regarding the headband part that rests on your head?  It's getting flakey too, such cheap crap they used....lol.  Love your pics with the pipes in the background.  =)  Do you have a favorite amp for the Q40's?

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Mal.  How do you like the sound of your Q40's after putting on the velour?  Do you have any recommendations regarding the headband part that rests on your head?  It's getting flakey too, such cheap crap they used....lol.  Love your pics with the pipes in the background.  =)  Do you have a favorite amp for the Q40's?

Heya,

I have a full review linked in my sig for sonic properties with velour pads. In short, I like it better in every way with velour; as the bass does not change, virtually nothing changes really with the pad swap, except way better comfort. I consider it mandatory.

As for the headband, I would look to something like a $18 Beyer headband (you can get them on Amazon). It just wraps around and snaps together, simple.

The Q40 doesn't need amplification, but it can benefit slightly from a little depending on use. I really liked it with my Fiio E11 & Fiio E10 because of the bass EQ which takes it up another +3 db in bass without distortion. It's earthquake level. Bassiest thing with decent mids I've listened to in it's price range that doesn't also have spiked treble. Great basshead headphone.

Very best,

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Uh oh.  Looks like the black Beyer pads do not exist anymore, anywhere?  Out of stock everywhere I looked.  I found some silver ones (which are also scarce), but I dunno, might look silly?

Nice review on the Q40's Mal.   Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back