Need help regarding custom headphone build!
Jun 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rustablad

Head-Fier
Hello all 
smily_headphones1.gif

I am currently designing my own headphones (will use magnum drivers), I have a question about cabling, more so, what connector i am using on the phones themselves (removable cable).
I was thinking about using a mini XLR like AKG, but I was also wondering if i could use a good quality binding post (ones for banana plugs) and have banana plug ends on my cable. Is my idea possible or are those connectors too heavy duty?   thx any help would be appreciated.

If you think this idea is silly,  would an RCA connector work on the headphone?

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Rather than being too heavy duty, I would worry about adding extra weight. Those things are quite big.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Would you favour RCA connectors instead? I intend on making to casing light, so I don't mind a bit of weight, I would balance the cups so each one weighs the same.
Regardless of all my ideas, what do you think would be the best connectors for durability and sound? (style matters a small amount as I am probably going to have about 50 hours of work in these)

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 6
You could try posting this question in the "Post your Grado mods" thread, as there are those who consider these Grado inspired projects worthy of discussion. I'm afraid I don't know an awful lot about connectors.
You could always just say you're modding a Grado 
evil_smiley.gif
 then at least you won't get any abuse from purists or trolls.

Also, in that thread the most popular detachable cable solution is mono 3.5mm jacks and sockets - although that to me looks more like cheap reverse engineering than a solid game plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back