Need help re) DSLR for action shots
Feb 15, 2010 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
OK...so I need some help re) a DSLR for action shots. Specifically, sports action shots.

I have two kids who do gymnastics/soccer, and our current camera (a jumped up point and shoot Sony that's just below DSLR status) is giving me a bad case of the blahs. Or is that the blurs?

I gather that I'm going to have to get something that will take high ASA shots and a big lens too. So I'm wondering how cheaply I can get out of this.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 8
The majority of DSLRs will do fine with action shots. It's the lens that you want to be particular about.

If you want to do it on a budget, I'd recommend a used DSLR. I'm a Nikon guy (though I do think Canon makes a fine camera), so I'd look for something like a used D50 or D70. I use a D70s and haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade yet. Then put a little into a fast lens.

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK...so I need some help re) a DSLR for action shots. Specifically, sports action shots.

I have two kids who do gymnastics/soccer, and our current camera (a jumped up point and shoot Sony that's just below DSLR status) is giving me a bad case of the blahs. Or is that the blurs?

I gather that I'm going to have to get something that will take high ASA shots and a big lens too. So I'm wondering how cheaply I can get out of this.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Yupyup you hit the spot, higher ASA/ISO to take in more light, and larger lens again to take in more light.

Id say if your on budget go with the sx20, its 20x zoom length is equivalent to a 500mm lens, or you could get t1i or t2i, which also has HD recording, and iso up to 12800, whereas sx20 is up to 1600 iso.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Feb 15, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 8
If you want to do this cheaper, Canon has a 200mm 2.8 prime that is around $800 at Adorama. It is also much more compact than a 70-200 2.8. There is also a 135mm f/2 L lens around $1k. It won't have enough reach for soccer, but it would be something to look into for indoor sports. As for Canon bodies, the new Rebel T2i should have the same or very similar image quality to the 7D and retails for $899. The 7D itself has a fancier AF system and 8 FPS, and goes for ~1800. I haven't shot any sports ever, but I suppose you want to stick to lenses with ultrasonic AF motors as well.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 8
[size=xx-small]Sony Alpha line[/size]

For your application, image-stabilization, as well as decent high-ISO performance, are very important. Fast lens(es) are important too. The Sony Alpha line has in-body IS, which gives this benefit with every lens you can attach. You don't have to pay extra for special IS lenses, making it ultimately more affordable.

Even the least expensive Alpha has in-body IS. The now-discontinued A700 is a sweetspot if you find it new, imo, and the A850 is the least expensive way to get into full-frame.

The kit wide-tele zooms may get you close enough, and with the in-body IS they may be fast enough. For a very fast pro-quality telephoto, there is Sony SAL-70200G Zoom AF 70-200mm f/2.8 APO G(D) SSM

Just an alternative to the traditional Canon/Nikon recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back