Need help picking out mid-range headphones (HD598, K545 and the likes)
May 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ades

New Head-Fier
I've now been reading review after review and comparison after comparison, but am still having trouble deciding on which choice to go for. I'm looking for a new set of headphones in the 200-300$ range (I live in Sweden though, so this is a rough estimate).

Currently, I've limited it down to Sennheisers HD598 and Momentum, AKG K550 and K545, Phillips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-1R, Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Soundmagic HP100, and Shure SRH840. The Momentum is the more expensive choice between the Sennheisers, and with the AKGs, I'm having trouble deciding between K550 and K545 since K545 seems to come out on top in comparison tests, at the same time as it's lower ranked on most reviews... If I've understood correctly, M50's are a bit outdated now, so they might fall out of the pool.
I am of course open to other recommendations, but many brands (e.g. V-moda) is unavailable here.

I'd like to use them traveling (so looking good is an advantage), but they will probably be used most of the time at home. I am currently without a decent soundcard and amplifier.
They might be used for films and games, but for music, I listen to pretty much everything, but probably with emphasis on electronic music (hypem picks) and rock (rolling stones to dylan). I might also add that I like a bit of bass.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

May 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 7
K545, hands down.  Just what you're looking for.  If you end up not liking it, then give M50x a shot.  I cannot comment on X1, HP100, or 1R, and HD598 and SRH840 are better suited to other types of music.

May 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 7
From the above I do own currently the ATH-M50, Momentum and HD598. All three are great headphones that I can recommend. In your case, I wouldn't recommend the HD598 as they are open and don't have the most impactful bass. The Momentum and ATH-M50 will suit you very well.  I tested the Sony MDR1-R and liked it as well, however found the Momentum to be slightly better.

Cheers,
K

May 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I believe that the SoundMAGIC HP100s are absolutely fantastic.  Well balanced, with excellent clarity, and just a touch of bass emphasis (with Beyer COP pads).  I've tried a lot of headphones, and I'm on my third pair of HP100s, because I like their signature so much.

May 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 7
All right, so now we can narrow it down a bit! Thanks everyone.

So I'm crossing off HD598 and SRH840. 1R and X1 will be bumped down a bit on my list.

Since the Swedish prices probably are different (and higher) than yours, I thought I'd translate them:
Momentum is about 345$,
K550 and HP100 is 240$,
K545 is 305$,
K551 and M50X is 205$.

Currently, I'm wondering if K545 is worth the extra dollars, especially seeing the small gap between them and Momentum.

May 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 7
I believe that the SoundMAGIC HP100s are absolutely fantastic.  Well balanced, with excellent clarity, and just a touch of bass emphasis (with Beyer COP pads).  I've tried a lot of headphones, and I'm on my third pair of HP100s, because I like their signature so much.

+1

I have nothing bad to say about this headphone's sound. It's detailed, musical, and comfortable. I have read about QC issues where some people have gotten defective units or variations in sound signature. Also some people say that it isolates well but I think it's average at best. With no music playing and in a room with other peopel talking I can hear them clearly.

May 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry for the bump, but any additional input after seeing the prices?

K545 does seem like a good choice, but I'm not sure if it's worth its cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back