Need Help on 1st purchase - IEM's and/or OTH
Oct 2, 2010 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Wh1t3Kn1ght

New Head-Fier
I've found these headphones at good prices and wondered which one is the best deal considering they will be my first above £20 purchase?
  1. Denon AH-C751 @ £52.99 inc postage from Advanced MP3 Players
  2. UE SuperFi 5 @ £39.99 inc postage from play.com
  3. SoundMagic PL50 @ £39.99 inc postage from play.com (trade)

To confuse matters I've also been looking at a pair of over the ear cans for home use but cannot afford both IEM's and OTE's at the same time (was looking at Sennheiser HD 515 and Grado DR150).

I'm leaning towards the Ultimate Ears and the SoundMagic IEM's and maybe a pair of Grado DR150 for home duties? My systems are listed below.

I listen to a wide variety of music from Oasis, Muse, The Killers, Nirvana, Foo Fighters to 80's synth pop to classical orchestral music and also trance and breakbeat.

I don't want to miss out on the Denon's if they are a good deal but understand they maybe an older design of IEM? whereas the UE and SoundMagic are different design?

Many Thanks

[size=xx-small]Home Rig - Panny TH42PX80B, MythTV 0.23, NAD 302, NAD T550 DVD/CD, NAD 613 Tape, Yamaha DSP-E800, B&W 601 S2, Mission Rear/Centre.
Mobile Rig - Sony MZH-R710 Minidisc Recorder & iPhone 3GS (8GB)[/size]

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 8
OK I've decided to get the OTH phones first and have got the following list after doing some research my budget is maximum of £100 GBP. These are listed in order of price available to me in the UK, unfortunately retail Audio Technica and Beyer Dynamic are over my budget.

So here is my list so far, please give your opinions on value per £..
  1. Goldring DR150 @ £49.95
  2. Creative Aurvana Live @ £52.99 (I understand that these maybe the same as the Denon AH-D1001?)
  3. Shure SRH440 @ £67.63
  4. Sennheiser HD555 @ £78.91 (which can be converted to HD595?)
  5. Audio Technica AH-AD700 @ £89.99 from ebay trader

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 8
Wow after the replies came flooding in I found some Goldring NS1000's on ebay that had only had a couple of hours use so purchased them along with an IBasso D3 Python amplifier.

Initially I listened via the onboard soundcard in my computer and also via my Sony MZH-R710 Minidisc, without the NC turned on the sound was very gloomy and had muddy bass. However with the NC turned on I found them very bright and revealing albeit with a small lack of bass.

After receiving the IBasso D3 Python I plugged this into the computer and found the sound totally transformed, with the NC turned on sound was very bright (almost tinny) and again with lack of depth and bass. However turning the NC off now revealed a huge improvement and the sound is very expansive and perfect bass, as other head-fiers have said there is a little loss of brightness at the top end but the overall sound is very good and I am very satisfied considering the headphones were only £50.

Looks like the bug has bitten though as I nearly snapped up another pair of headphones yesterday although self-control (wallet control) got the better of me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 8
Sorry for the lack of response to your posts and welcome to Head-fi.
beerchug.gif

You'll find what you've purchased will form an excellent base to "leap" off of.  I say leap off of as it's quite normal to establish an entry level base of gear and then upgrade from there.  For some sicko reason, that's the fun of this hobby.

???

Don't know about your headphones of choice but the iBasso gear is suppose to be good stuff.  As you found out, anything you can do to get digitally processed sound (artificial sound quality) out of the signal path, is a good thing.

Myself?  I went the opposite tact as you in that I went with high end IEM's (Sennheiser IE8's) and don't use any outboard Amp such as what you did.  I tried the FiiO E-7 but found it to do little and the sound quality, my opinion, falls flat.  I do have to admit, the iBasso D10 has it's attractive qualities that I'm currently resisting.

Hope the above qualifies as a response to your un-responded to OP and again, welcome to Head-fi.

L3000.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 8
UE SuperFi 5

???

Seems plausible if using Amazon.  The first one listed works out to forty quid using $1.60 USD as the conversion rate.

(BeeMan loves a good Amazon deal.)

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Are you sure the ue super fi 5 were only 40?? I was looking and it seems to be 90 quid..

Definetly although the deal is no longer listed
frown.gif
- it was on www.play.com.

Quote:
Sorry for the lack of response to your posts and welcome to Head-fi.
beerchug.gif

Hello beeman
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for the welcome - been listening on my new rig for most of the day, Michael Jackson's Stranger in Moscow is sounding terrific !

Will be keeping an eye on the forum from now on
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Wh1t3Kn1ght wrote:

- been listening on my new rig for most of the day,

That's good looking rig you have.  Enjoy.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back