Need help moving from Summit-Fi at home to Summit-Fi on the go...
Oct 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
So my home rig is in my signature.  I love it.  But, the reality is I can almost never really use it since the LCD-3 might as well be a small speaker and the other people in the room don't care for what I want to listen to :wink:

So first question... is something portable, cost no object, competitive with my home rig?

If yes or at least approaching yes... help me out.  The headphone has to be an (c)iem so I can easily go one ear if needed.  Perfect world I would like to have 1 rig that does it all.  All being usable on the commute, in my office and at home be able to use the PC as the digital transport and feed either the (c)iem or the Dynaudio while being charged.

I believe I would like to have a means to boost bass either through EQ in the DAP or a switch/dial on the amp for when I'm on the transit.  Needs to be dead quiet with sensitive iems.

My problem is despite being around here for a decade... I've never spent any time in the portable market so I'm totally lost.

So commute, office, home... (c)iem, powered monitor... pc, dap... so lost.

I had originally thought about the CM8 with an iPod Classic, then came across the AK120, iPod/Cypher/ALO combo?  Keep the home rig swapping the LCD-3 for an iem, keep the Zune for the road/office and call it a day?

I was going to get a JH13fp or JH16fp but word is the Siren series may have lower models so... holding pattern.  So what do I do?

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks Mim. I had scratched the Terra off for being a little too minimalist and the 901 for not having an eq and battery life. I could always use another supply at work but was told they only extra batteries.

Will say this. I tried my wife's iPhone and damn is it awful. Makes the Zune sound like a world beater :O

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks Mim. I had scratched the Terra off for being a little too minimalist and the 901 for not having an eq and battery life. I could always use another supply at work but was told they only extra batteries.

Will say this. I tried my wife's iPhone and damn is it awful. Makes the Zune sound like a world beater :O

Well there are a few new players coming out soon from Sony, Calyx, Fiio and even AK...so you can also wait. Otherwise the Japanese DX100, the HDP R10 has longer battery and supposedly sounds great.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Consider the rwak120b- IF cost is no object...

As a source, its top of the line in terms of the components, the UI being bug-free/user friendly, and it can run fully balanced.  Its great for both IEMs and full-size- you just need to have the right synergy with equipment.  For IEMs, I've got it matched with my pico slim, a solid rectangular core silver toxic cables interconnect, and tralucent 1+2s and am incredibly happy with the results (summit-fi sound + still thinner than most brick-ish daps- dx100, hf-901 = no desire to upgrade!).

Here's a couple pics below to show its size:

If money is a factor, then I'd go with the ibasso dx100- fantastic bang for your buck (can find used in the $600s)

Also, according to Vinnie of Red Wine Audio, the 120b compares favorably with TOTL desktop setups that he tested it with (take it with a grain of salt cuz its his product, but firsthand, I'm very impressed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back