Need HELP in convincing my friend who is set on buying Dr.Dre to wear outside!
Jan 31, 2010 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Mengsk

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been looking around head-fi quite often and I need help picking a convincing headphone that will change my friend's choice.

His budget is about $300 CAD, today he went to apple store to buy the Dr.dre. I begged him to at least try out some headphone before he makes a final choice.

Luckily (or not so luckily) there was Sennheiser MM400 out to test and he (kind of) changed his mind about buying the Dr.Dre right now.

On the bus coming back, we discussed about what kind of music he likes and why he was so set on getting the Dre. He said that he loved the "overpowering booming sound (bass) in his head."

After about 20 minute talk on the bus, we departed and he went to his house and started to search about Sennheiser (it was good until here).

As a chain reaction, he found out about Grado, AKG, Audio-Technica, etc.
He is so convinced that he wants to buy one of Grado SR325, AKG K702, Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 (not really, I kept on mentioning about ultimate ears and I pretty sure his just saying it to "not get judged by me")

I mentioned that if he wants to use Grado or AKG he'll need an amp. Problem is that he doesn't even know what amp is and I'm pretty sure that he won't buy one.

So this is what I need help with, a closed headphone under $300 that can be worn outdoors without an amp. He likes Korean pop music and he loves strong bass. He would be either buying from Ebay or Amazon. (I know some people might say "just let him get Dr.Dre" but now his so set on either Grado or AKG)

Please help head-fi!
Thanks.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 36
He doesn't necessarily need an amp with Grados or AKGs (model specific). He's definitely not going to find the sound signature he wants in the SR-325is. Plus it isn't a good outdoor headphone. Same goes for K702, which is massive, open backed and the furthest thing from a bass heavy phone.

Sounds like he is considering IEMs, so why not the Monster Turbines? Same company that makes the Beats, way cheaper, bass cannons, portable, isolating, need I go on?

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 36
actually, he is really firm about not getting any IEMs, funny thing you mention Monster Turbine. That was my first recommendation 6 months ago, he likes the sound but he said "its a hassle puting on" so he sold it yesterday.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 36
If he wants to take full-sized headphones out portable, they should really be closed backed. This will not only protect the driver somewhat from dust/moisture, but it will stop other people near him from hearing his music!

I've not been around Head-Fi for a while, so not sure what is/isn't flavour of the month, but how about finding some Sennheiser HD-25 for him to try? Will last forever, closed back, not too big, fairly lightweight and sound great. Pretty strong bass too!

Just a thought!

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 36
Thanks, I was thinking of hd25, but I haven't tried them. How are they? I know they have great reviews but my friend wants really "booming" stuff and I'm not sure if its bassy. Its a shame they don't sell it at Amazon anymore.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 36
Well, I guess HFI-580 or 780 may be what he is looking for if he is after bass. And he probably will like the looks of em. You keep mentioning boomy and overpowering bass, but I guess I would have never thought of AKG or Grado for that. Maybe AKG K181DJ, I think you should have him look into more brands. I think he may find something that fits his boomy taste, but a headphone that will still allow him to learn to appreciate his music. That's what seperates the mainstream consumer Beats from recommendations you will find on Head-Fi. Let us know what he ends up getting
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mengsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I was thinking of hd25, but I haven't tried them. How are they? I know they have great reviews but my friend wants really "booming" stuff and I'm not sure if its bassy. Its a shame they don't sell it at Amazon anymore.

I have used HD-25 for DJing heavyweight drum & bass (back when it was called Jungle and had serious basslines hehe) - High SPL (loud!) with enough bass to make it easy to mix, even in a very loud nightclub environment.

L3000.gif

They'll probably need an amp to get the best out of them - but to be fair, a lot of cans do.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 36
For bass a Sony MDR V6 can work too. It's cheap enough to combine with another headphone and amplifier. The XB700 is supposed to be very fun and there are options like the Sennheiser HD438 or HD428. I'm not mentioning the HD448 because the bass sounds plasticky to some on some tracks. The JVC HA-RX700 or its bigger brother the RX900 could work too.

Combine a bit and you've got a versatile listening set.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 36
I suggest he go IE8 by Sennheiser, it will give him the bass he craves, great mids, and very good treble. They are expensive (best Canadian price is $350 from NCIX) but they won't need an amp, they are very portable and have the sound of a fullsize set of headphones based on the reviews and comments I have read. So the additional $50 will allow him one purchase that covers all his needs.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 36
Its really hard for me because he is contradicting himself. he doesn't want an IEM but a headphone... so I really don't know.

I let him try my Portapro and PX100, but he don't like them as much.

Now his looking at HD600... I really don't know what to do about him, he's so determined to wear it outside and is looking for a large headphones... paradox much?

BTW, he doesn't mind the brand, as long as its, portable and bassy

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 36
If these are for portable use, keep him away from Grados or AKGs.

Just let him listen to Denon D1001s at any local audio shop, which are pretty stylish for good headphones and sound far better than Dres at half the price. He'll fall in love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back