Need HELP in convincing my friend who is set on buying Dr.Dre to wear outside!
Jan 31, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 36
ES7? The bass is quite boomy and quite accurate for its size. Plus its portable, closed back and .... flashy? Given it shine from the sun at a perfect angle... Plus its only around $50-60 USD refurbished which saves a lot of money for more quality than the Dres. I have no idea why people buy the dres. After some listening from my friend, it was ALL BASS ALL THE TIME. It completely drowns out anything else on the music. If I wanted that effect I'll go crazy on my equalizer.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #17 of 36
Truth: based on what you said your friend wanted, I would recommend the Beats. Seriously. They'd be perfect for him, and he'd be happy. I've listened to them. There are a lot worse headphones that people talk about with praise all the time on this forum. They're not my cup of tea, but most headphones aren't. Let him get what works for him, not what you think he should have.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 36
I really regret even trying to make him try the Sennheiser now.

I think he'll get Beyerdynamic DT770 (without an amp). It would be really silly and near impossible to wear it outside all the time but...

I wish I got few more inputs. I did introduce him to the HiFi world and I don't want his first purchase to be a sour one.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 36
Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Closed Headphones! I got try these while playing Infected Mushroom (trance music) It had the bass shaking my ears. If he needs more then that just tell him to strap a a subwoofer to his head :p

They are also about 200$ less then his budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangamonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Denon AHD2000's sound pretty sweet, bass heavy, are just at $300 and are easy to drive.

seconded. D2000 looks sleek too which might influence him to buy it

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #22 of 36
To be honest, Beats > DT770s, and I'm speaking from experience.

The Beats are not bad headphones AT ALL, they are just somewhat overpriced (although nowhere near as badly as Bose). They sell for $300 and are maybe worth $200-$225, and for the added style it's probably worth it for your friend.

Look at it this way, HeadRoom is extremely picky about the headphones they put on their site, and they put a lot of Monster's lineup on their site, so they can't be that bad.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 36
He decided to get a AKG K702. Is this a good choice for him? Does it have Booming bass his looking for? I'm not sure because high-end cans I tried were Sennheisers

He doesn't have an amp. Would CMOY portable amps be able to drive K702?

I'm doubting whether he would be able to wear it outside.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #24 of 36
Not true. They have the SK skullcrushers AND the hesh....

I don't think the K702 was a good choice... It might not get loud enough with a cMoy.

I use the K81 for outside use. Quite sexy headphones, I must say.
wink_face.gif

Or the D2000. Great value.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at it this way, HeadRoom is extremely picky about the headphones they put on their site, and they put a lot of Monster's lineup on their site, so they can't be that bad.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #25 of 36
Tell him to buy the HD 25 I II.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mengsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He decided to get a AKG K702. Is this a good choice for him? Does it have Booming bass his looking for? I'm not sure because high-end cans I tried were Sennheisers

He doesn't have an amp. Would CMOY portable amps be able to drive K702?

I'm doubting whether he would be able to wear it outside.

K702 won't have booming bass, and it will sound horrible out of an ipod or computer. A CMOY won't work either.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #27 of 36
Has the guy considered in-ears / IEMs?
They will isolate the most out of anything. For the budget of the Beats, you can get some fantastic IEMs for the price.
K702 is a very bad choice for portability. Cancel the order. really. It won't run properly at all from a portable / without matching amplification.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #28 of 36
xb700s by Sony.

I don't know why these are so often looked over... it is actually hard to miss them they are quite large, but bass monsters, and from a sansa fuse, can articulate all of that bass, while offering up quite a nice midrange and HF spectrum. A joy to listen to, moreso than the Denons without an amp, or with lossy files. The Denons may be d1001, but they resolve a large percentage of what their bigger brothers do. Bass is not actually that great. The Creative Aurvanas actually sound better (to me) in that regard, and are built in the same factory using the same drivers and headband as the d1001s.

I ended up modding my Aurvanas because the very little bit of air I lose, I gain in having less fatigue. Mod the denons and the bass tightens up as well, but then I kindof liked the piano black of the aurvanas, and for some reason they seem to pair better with a portable. The denons were harsh on the sansa, but great at home through tubes. The modded creatives are punchy now on the sansa and downright a joy at home, but I prefer the xb700s to anything I have yet to hear that is a full sized headphone on a portable. I don't use them at home because I have other phones, and the xb700 bag with my fuse and usb cable plus phones is easy to just pick up and go.

Right now, I am amped, through tubes, DT770s, and yes they can go boom boom, they still have an articulation that seems to span genres. It is hard to drive them with a portabe. The xb700s are so easy to drive it will freak you out how much you can get from them on a tiny little portable, and isolating so you can rock out at the bookstore/library.

Denons are more isolating than the Aurvanas. Don't know why. Just so you know. DT770s are pretty isolating too, but it is hard to beat the earpads on the XB700s

Portable, efficient, and can blow your top off, but with articulation... I really don't know of any other than the XB700s unless, as others said, IEMs.

The beats are just too expensive. they are not the worst ever, but you are paying for Dre's name. Names aren't cheap. I have some really nice shirts and pants, but since they do not have a label that says the Gap, apparently I am a poor slob? No... I am comfortable with all that money in the back pocket of my comfey cotton pants that I got at some outlet store.

You know, the first problem isn't the beats... He went to the apple store. Pot calling kettle black if you ask me. I cannot say the beats are overpriced and all you pay for is the name, and with it a midrange product at high prices without reminding you he found them in a store that is run by a company that makes all of it's money selling just that. Actually, save a few grand, get a PC, and then you have plenty of money for an amp and headphones, even if he still does want the less portable higher end hifi mainstays. Sure portable amps aren't the full answer, but there are AKGs, Senns, Ultrasones, Even Grados that would work fine if you had the extra money from not having to deal with apple products. Can't down the beats without remarking on the irony of the entire idea of going into an apple store and only those are what you find overpriced and not up to par...

I mean, if you have an ipod or macbook, hell, might as well get the beats. Why not? If it wasn't an issue before, why now? If I am misjudging a casual encounter with the apple store, then I apologize, but if not, the irony is fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back