Need Help! Im a n00b
Mar 4, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #31 of 46
Yeah i bet they would be tons better. i had to change the eq prestets many times to get ok sound out of the sonys. i read a lot of reviews on the HD 201s many saying they suck for MP3 players but then again they would be better then the sonys i suppose and the sonys are ok to my standards. The only thing that throws me off about the 201s is that the cord is 10 feet long wich i can always get rewired but would probably end up costing more than what i originally payed.i'll see tommorow im sure my cousin has the 201 so ill test them there.

thanks for all the help guys

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #32 of 46
If the cord is thin and flexible, coiling it up could be OK. If it's not, shortening it will make it much easier to manage for portable use. I use a couple of Sumajin SmartWraps for some headphones with thin and flexible cords.

Please let us know what you think of the HD201, and what headphone you decide to get.

(click to view)

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #33 of 46
You have to remember that most of the people here are used to very expensive headphones (in most "normal" people's minds) so there opinion will be just a little bit biased. If you've never heard anything better than the Sony's will be just fine however, even the 201s unamped will sound better than the V150s, and yes it probably won't be worth it to have it recabled unless you could do it yourself since the cost would probably be much higher than the price you pay for the headphones, just coil them up and they'll be fine, if you were using something like a Zu or a Equinox cable that costs $220 I would be wary but I occasionally coil my 650 and 515 cords when I use them portably and they're fine as long as you don't try to wrap them up too tightly.

Wow, that was one hell of a run-on sentence
eek.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #34 of 46
I kept the 201 cord tied up with a velcro strap...never had any problems with it. It's "hard to drive" in the sense that it might require a higher volume setting to produce same amount of sound; but I've never found an MP3 player that can't drive these to earsplittingly loud levels.

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I kept the 201 cord tied up with a velcro strap...never had any problems with it. It's "hard to drive" in the sense that it might require a higher volume setting to produce same amount of sound; but I've never found an MP3 player that can't drive these to earsplittingly loud levels.

Thanks thats sort of the answer i wanted see, thanks.

Oh and those smart wraps are brilliant i gonna have to pick some those up thanks guys.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #36 of 46
HD201s need more power from the MP3 player than regular portable headphones, but that doesn't mean it sounds bad at all. On my nano, i listen to them at about 1/2 to 3/4 volume. The only thing i don't like about it is the long cord but i only use them at home.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #37 of 46
what other people said of the HD201, i agree. for loud music (ie hip hop, rock, indie) i set my ipod to 3/4 volume. for classical and jazz i use max. they sound okay when used as a portable solution, but they are not great. mids does not exist when used with my ipod. They sound much better when used with my computer and best with my hi-fi amp.
oh and i won't suggest them to be used when skating or any active sport because they're pretty loose. they can fall off if you nod your head hard enough. and don't you need to wear a helmet when skating anyway? or do you want to have the skater punk image with dj headphones. I think you'd need more budget for those.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #38 of 46
No, no helmet for me. I'm defintaley not looking to fit into the "skater punk" trend either. I just think they look cool and they seem like they would stay on my head better than clip ons and buds.

I returned the Sonys today, after i listened to the HD 202s my cousin has they sound way better than the sonys but i had to mess with the eq a lot since they sounded kind of muddy with most of the presets. In the end i had the eq set up to were they sounded really good.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #39 of 46
Its pretty much the Hd 201 Vs the HD 457 now. I really cant decide.
I found out about the HD 457 today at compusa it says for Mp3 player use right on it so it might be a good choice im not sure though im gonna do more research on them right now.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foskco_kills
...im gonna do more research on them right now.

Sounding like a Head-fier already!!!
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Sounding like a Head-fier already!!!
icon10.gif

I'll say!
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back