Need Help! Im a n00b
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Foskco_kills

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
17
Likes
0
Hey, well after i bought Sony Fontopia 51 i thought i was all set but the damn cord on them pretty much disentegrated and now im here. YAY. Anywho im now leaning on getting sennheiser hd 201 i havnt seen them in person so i have no clue on how long the cord is, if they are huge and will make me look like a retard, etc. etc. i have read some reviews on amazon.com most of them good. Oh BTW im gonna be using them through a Dell Dj MP3 player if that helps.

suggestions on other phones a welcomed as long as they are under around the $25 region, yes im cheap. Thanks in advance : )
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 46

Lsportline43

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Posts
655
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foskco_kills
Hey, well after i bought Sony Fontopia 51 i thought i was all set but the damn cord on them pretty much disentegrated and now im here. YAY. Anywho im now leaning on getting sennheiser hd 201 i havnt seen them in person so i have no clue on how long the cord is, if they are huge and will make me look like a retard, etc. etc. i have read some reviews on amazon.com most of them good. Oh BTW im gonna be using them through a Dell Dj MP3 player if that helps.

suggestions on other phones a welcomed as long as they are under around the $25 region, yes im cheap. Thanks in advance : )



If you don't need the isolation you should definitely get the Koss KSC75. They are $20 at Circuit City.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 46

Ahriman4891

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Posts
713
Likes
10
What about koss sportapro? They are $20 at J&R.com. Mine just arrived today, and I think they'd be less of a problem on the go (KSC-75 cord gets caught in the clip => PITA). If I am not mistaken, both models use the same driver, but sportapros are pressed against your ears a bit tighter, resulting in better isolation and bass. Also, I was surprised how small they were. Overall, an extremely well thought-out design.

See here:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=24803

P.S.
I never heard HD201, so no comment on them. But if you need isolation, they may be your best bet.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 46

Foskco_kills

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
17
Likes
0
Im not really digging the clip ons since im gonna be skating they are at risk of falling off my ear, I also think they look bad.

EDIT: seems im going to be dissapointed, after searching on this site it seems the Senn. HD201 and my MP3 player wont work well together. Thats sort of a bummer, are there any headphones out there in the price range of the HD201 that also will work well with my Mp3 player? I found some panasonics for around the same price are they any good?

Another Edit: The Panasonics i saw were the RP-HG20.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 46

muckluck

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Posts
564
Likes
10
Get some PortaPro2s. Only 20$ at most places, have an awesome fun sound, and are wicked comfortable. A lot of the time I get compliments from people on their looks. So according to the general public they look good.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 46

Foskco_kills

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
17
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Get some PortaPro2s. Only 20$ at most places, have an awesome fun sound, and are wicked comfortable. A lot of the time I get compliments from people on their looks. So according to the general public they look good.


Those really are not my style. I have seen them on someone at school and i just dont like the way they look.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 46

LaBreaHead

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Posts
1,847
Likes
11
The 201's wouldn't have been good for active sports -- or many "out and about" activities. I have a pair, and they're surprisingly good for the price ... but more of a "stay at home" value-priced headphone.

I have two sets of Sony's and have avoided the cord problems, but it happens ... but don't let that scare you away from the new Sennheiser canal phones (maybe out of your price range), the Creative canal phones (maybe more affordable), or the Portable Sennheiser headphones, if you don't like the Koss look (although the Koss tend to amaze people, for the price, the Sennheisers look more "dignified" and get good reviews from many users -- check out the 100's -- it's late and I can't remember the prefix ... of course, they may be out of your preferred range, too).
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 46

noypi

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 30, 2005
Posts
126
Likes
0
help too... am a noob... i have a PXC300 and my sister tried it and not surprising at all, she got hook to it...
eggosmile.gif
now i m trying to find a good upgrade... but i dont know what...

and another question.. do closed headphones give a better or worse isolation thAn noise cancelling headphones..???
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 46

BluesDaddy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Posts
580
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by noypi
help too... am a noob... i have a PXC300 and my sister tried it and not surprising at all, she got hook to it...
eggosmile.gif
now i m trying to find a good upgrade... but i dont know what...

and another question.. do closed headphones give a better or worse isolation thAn noise cancelling headphones..???



I think perceptually some can be the same. But I think sound quality, a good closed can is head and shoulders above a noise cancelling one with far greater "bang for the buck".
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 46

Foskco_kills

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
17
Likes
0
BUMP...

What about the Sony MDR-V150 i see these everywhere i went to sears right after school and i saw them for 16 bucks. They have the style i want and dont look bulky at all. Anyone have any experience with them?
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 46

Lsportline43

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Posts
655
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foskco_kills
BUMP...

What about the Sony MDR-V150 i see these everywhere i went to sears right after school and i saw them for 16 bucks. They have the style i want and dont look bulky at all. Anyone have any experience with them?



Yikes, you're going in the wrong direction!
eek.gif
Just get the KSC75!
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 46

Foskco_kills

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
17
Likes
0
Im gonna go ahead and get the Sonys. The reviews on amazon are good the circuit city reviewers are mixed some people love them some hate them so im gonna try them. If i dont like them i can always return/exchange them i suppose.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 46

Foskco_kills

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
17
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Yikes, you're going in the wrong direction!
eek.gif
Just get the KSC75!



Like i said earlier I dont like the clip ons. They make my ears droop and they tend to fall off. Im by no means an audiophile or anything i just wanted something with a headband that sounds womewhat decent and that arnt too bulky the sonys have what im looking for so im gonna try them.
 
Mar 3, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 46

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 16, 2005
Posts
3,316
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foskco_kills
Im gonna go ahead and get the Sonys. The reviews on amazon are good the circuit city reviewers are mixed some people love them some hate them so im gonna try them. If i dont like them i can always return/exchange them i suppose.


Please get the HD 201, HD 202, or HD 212 instead. A head-fier buying a Sony V150 makes me sad. The 201 isn't huge or bulky - it's actually quite portable. It doesn't sound quite as good as the KSC-75, but it stomps all over those Sonys. The HD 202 is more easy to drive and goes for about $23.
 
Mar 3, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 46

Foskco_kills

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
17
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Please get the HD 201, HD 202, or HD 212 instead. A head-fier buying a Sony V150 makes me sad. The 201 isn't huge or bulky - it's actually quite portable. It doesn't sound quite as good as the KSC-75, but it stomps all over those Sonys. The HD 202 is more easy to drive and goes for about $23.


Too Late, I've already got the sonys and they really arnt as bad as you make them out to be. They didnt sound good with the EQ setting i had been using so i switched it to the Pop preset and it sounds Ok.Which is ALL i wanted a decent sounding set of headphones that i can easily get. Yesterday i was about to take the plunge on the HD 201 the only place i knew had them were sold out and i needed new headphones by today(it sucks without music at school) becasue my fontopia 51s are showing copper wire but they still sound good and i will still use them. My only complaints on the V150 right now is the cord its super long and i assume both the hd201 and 202 have long cords.
EDIT: Ok i put the V150 to somewhat of a test i skated in my garage for maybe 15 minutes and i feel my ears throbbing i thaught it was just the blood flowing so i sat down for a while and they were still throbbing it seems the headphones clamp down way to hard and making them kind of uncomfortable, geez this suck im gonna see if i can get through the day with them on at school tommorow if i cant ill see if i can get a refund or store credit or something i got them at target.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top