Need help finding some music
Aug 26, 2009 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

UncleDavid218

100+ Head-Fier
I've done a bit of searching but haven't been able to find much. Lately I've started to get into the John Mayer/Jack Johnson scene. However, I've pretty much burnt out all of their songs/albums and now desire more music with similar characteristics (both from a vocal and instrumental standpoint). I've found Bon Iver and Ray Lamontagne, and like it, but can't really find anything similar. I don't want full blown rock, but folk is a little too subdued for me. I don't want pop, either, but I appreciate those characteristics. Any input?

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 8
Try M. Ward or Martin Sexton maybe. Martin Sexton is a good friend of John Mayer I think. Also try out Paul Westerberg. His post-Replacements solo albums were fairly rocky but he put out a blues record called Dead Man Shake under the name Grandpaboy that you might really like.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 8
Aug 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm not familiar with Mayer and Johnson, so I may be off-base here. Richard Thompson comes from a folk-rock background (actually one of the pioneers with Fairport Convention). Rolling Stone has him in their list of 20 best ever guitarists. He swings to both extremes and everywhere in between. There's a new compilation of his stuff called "Walking on a Wire" Amazon.com: Walking on a Wire: Richard Thompson (1968-2009): Richard Thompson: Music. There's also a live tour version of his most recent studio album "Sweet Warrior" available at BeesWeb - Catch of the Day. It's very fine.

- Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back